A plain text email is created automatically for all marketing emails. This version is only sent to a recipient if the rich text version isn't supported in their email client. You can customize the plain text version of your email in the Plain text tab in the content editor.
Please note: after the plain text email is customized, it won't update with any new content changes made to the rich text version.
Edit the plain text version of your email
To customize the plain text version of your email:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Email.
- Hover over the email you want to customize and click Edit.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Click Plain text and web version.
- Under Plain text, click Customize.
- In the dialog box, make any changes to your plain text email, then click Update.
Include links in the plain text version of your email
If you want the links in your plain text email to be tracked and formatted correctly, ensure that each link's text and URL conform to one of the following formats:
- Caret as delimiter:
- Parentheses around URL:
- Colon as delimiter:
- Full-width colon as delimiter:
- Space, newline, tab, or NBSP as delimiter:
You must also turn click tracking on for plain text emails in your marketing email settings. Learn more about how to manage your email tracking settings.
Emails with smart content
If you're using smart content, the smart rules you've set will automatically apply to the plain text version of your email too. The default content will always appear in the Plain Text tab of the editor. If you customize the plain text version of an email that contains smart content, your smart rules will no longer apply in the plain text version.