You can import contacts, companies, deals, tickets, or product information into HubSpot using a single file from your computer. Learn how to also import contacts through the HubSpot mobile app.
Please note: in order to comply with Google's OAuth app requirements, the ability to import contacts directly from Gmail was removed on May 1, 2019. You can use Import2 to import contacts from Gmail into HubSpot.
If you want to import a single file with data for multiple object types (e.g., the file contains contacts, deals and notes), or import two separate files to associate both object types, learn how to import and associate multiple object types.
Please note: if you want to import notes and associate them to an object's record, learn how to import notes in a single file with multiple object types or how to associate notes to an object's record by uploading a spreadsheet for each.
Import one file with one object type
This applies if your file contains only one object type (e.g., the file contains only contacts).
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to your contacts, companies, deals, tickets, or products.
- In the upper right, click Import.
- Click Start an import.
- Select File from computer, then click Next.
- Select One file, then click Next.
- Select One object, then click Next.
- Select which object you want to import.
- Click choose a file and in the dialog box, then select your import file. Select the checkbox if you're using the object ID to deduplicate your contacts, companies, deals, tickets, or products. In the bottom right, click Next.
- On the Map columns in your file to contact properties screen, HubSpot will automatically match the columns in your file to your selected object type's properties. You'll see a preview of the property values from your spreadsheet in the Preview Information column.
- If any columns do not match an existing property, click the corresponding dropdown menu:
- Select an existing property to map the column to.
- Click Create a new property to set up a new custom property in the right panel.
- Select Don't import column to skip importing this column from your spreadsheet. You can also select the Don't import data in unmatched columns checkbox to skip any columns without a match.
- After you've mapped all of the columns from your file, click Next.
- On the details screen, enter an Import name.
- If you're importing a file with only contacts, select the Create a list of contacts from this import checkbox to automatically create a list when the contacts are imported.
- If you're importing a file with a date property, use the Date format dropdown menu to confirm how the date values in your spreadsheet are formatted.
- If you've turned on General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) functionality in your account, use the Set the legal basis for processing a contact's data dropdown menu to select a lawful basis of processing.
- Once you've set the options for your import, click Finish import in the bottom right.
After the import begins, you'll be taken back to the imports dashboard. Here, you'll see the following:
- Name: the name of the import that was added in the Import Details.
- New: the number of new contacts added. If a contact already existed in your database prior to the import, it will not be included in this value.
- Updated: the number of records updated by the import.
- Error count: the number of records in your import that resulted in an error and could not be processed. To see a detailed list of errors, click the More dropdown menu and select Download errors to see a detailed list of errors.
- Source: the type of import selected.
- User: the name of the user in your account who imported the file.
- Created: the date the import was completed.
If you want a list of your recently imported contacts, you can create a list from the imports dashboard:
- Hover over the name of the contact import. Click the More dropdown menu and select New list to open the list builder.
- Click the pencil icon edit in the top-left corner and give your list a name.
- Click the AND or OR to add more criteria to your list.
- When you are done, click Save.
You can also use the Import filter to segment your contacts, companies, and deals:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to your contacts, companies, or deals.
- Click + Add filter.
- Search for and select the Import radio button.
- Select the radio button next to the filter criteria is any of, is none of, is known, or is unknown. The click the dropdown menu and select the import file you want to segment by.
- Click Apply filter, then click Save.
If you want to view your original import file, click the More dropdown menu and select Download original file.