The first lifecycle stage of a contact depends upon how the contact was created in HubSpot:
- For contacts added manually in a HubSpot Marketing Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account via Contacts > Contacts or in a HubSpot Marketing Free/Starter or HubSpot Sales via Contacts, the default Lifecycle Stage is Lead.
- For contacts who were added by converting on a form or lead flow, the default lifecycle stage is Lead unless otherwise specified. Contacts who convert on a default HubSpot blog subscription form will have a lifecycle stage of Subscriber.
- For contacts who are imported in using a .csv file, you will select a default lifecycle stage during the import process. Learn more about importing contacts here.
- Contacts created in HubSpot after syncing from Salesforce are created by default as Leads. Please be aware of expected behavior if you have enabled automatic lifecycle stage transitions or have synced company lifecycle stages in HubSpot.
- Contacts added to HubSpot using the contact profiles in Gmail or Outlook feature are created by default as Leads.