By default, when you activate a workflow with a List Membership criterion, the existing contacts in the smart list will not be enrolled in the workflow by default; only contacts added to the list going forward will be enrolled. However, while your workflow is inactive, you have the option to enroll contacts who already meet the starting criteria. Follow the below instructions to turn this setting on for your workflow:
- In your HubSpot Marketing account, navigate to Contacts > Workflows.
- Click the name of the workflow.
- Toggle the Workflow is ON switch in the top right corner to OFF.
- Click the enrollment criteria icon to make edits.
- Check the Enroll contacts who already meet these criteria box.
- Click Save.
- Click to toggle the switch back to ON and reactivate the workflow.
Please note: if contacts are active in your workflow when it is deactivated, they will continue to move through the scheduled actions and delays, but no actions will execute (learn more here). You can instead create a list with criteria that matches that of the workflow and manually enroll the contacts in the list, rather than deactivating the workflow.