- In your HubSpot account, navigate to your blog, landing pages, or website pages.
- Hover over an existing page or post in your dashboard and click Edit.
- Click the bar graph icon on the left pane. A sidebar pane will open with suggestions for you to optimize your content based.
Attach your page to a topic cluster
- Click the Core Topic dropdown to select your core topic. If you don't have a topic cluster related to this page yet, click Content Strategy to create a new topic.
- Under the Content Type section, select whether this page should be attached as a pillar page or supporting content.
- If you select Supporting, use the Subtopic dropdown menu to attach this page to one of your subtopics.
- To create a new subtopic directly from the optimization sidebar, type your subtopic and hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
- After you've made your selections, click Attach to Topic.
Optimize your content
Your page or blog post should be attached to a topic to ensure you're building authority on your core topic. The optimization tool will review your content for the following:
- Internal links to your pillar page and subtopic content. Once a piece of content is attached to a pillar page, you can click Copy Pillar Page URL to copy a link directly from the optimize tab to easily insert it into your content.
- At least one call-to-action.
- An H1 tag to make it easier for search engines to find your content.
- Inbound links from authoritative and relevant external websites.
- The title should be under 70 characters.
- Each page title on your website should be unique.
The meta description appears on a Google search results page under the Page Title. This description helps people decide to click on your result, as opposed to a result above or below you.
- The length should be between 50 and 300 characters.
- The copy should offer a valuable, compelling reason for why someone should visit the page.
Any images used on the page should be optimized so that search engines can read the details of the image.
- The file name can contain key phrases related to your topic cluster. Each word should be separated by dashes (-), e.g. inbound-marketing-software.jpg
- ALT text makes your images accessible for visitors who use screen readers and helps improve your SEO. The alt text should match the file name, without dashes, e.g. Inbound Marketing Software.