After adding a domain in HubSpot’s Domain Manager and navigating through the steps to enable SSL on the domain, you’ll reach a point where you need to validate ownership of your domain.
One way to validate your domain is to create a website page that contains a unique token.
Follow the directions below to learn how to find this token and create a blank page that contains it:
- First, to find the token, navigate in your HubSpot Marketing account to Content > Content Settings.
- Click Domain Manager from the left-hand side menu.
- Locate the progress of your domain validation at the top and click Validate domain.
- From this pop-up window, you'll see two links and they both contain a unique string of letters and numbers. Click Copy next to the second link (validate.hubspot.net).
- Paste that URL into a new web browser window and copy the token that appears on the page - this will be a long string of letters and numbers.
- Create a blank file on your server (where your domain is hosted), called <whateveryourtokenis>, with nothing on the page except for that unique token/string.
- You can create this blank file easily on your computer, as well, by using a text editor. Take a look below for an example of how this should look - you can see that the file contains only the unique token within the file. Once you have this file, you can upload it to your server.
- Put this file on that same path as the URL. If you look at the example redirect link above, you can see that would be inside a folder called "acme-challenge" which is inside a hidden "well-known" folder.
- Make sure this file is hosted and living on your domain. You can test this by visiting the URL in your browser and ensuring that it resolves to a page where you see your token.