The Marketing Performance section of your HubSpot Dashboard can be used to customize and track your monthly progress against custom goals that you set. If your marketing team needs to reach certain website visit and lead numbers each month, this is the easiest way to track your progress towards that goal.
With that said, HubSpot users that have the most success identify their long term marketing goals using the SMART goal framework. A SMART goal stands for:
- Specific - Your goal should be unambiguous and communicate what is expected, why it is important, who's involved, where it is going to happen and which constraints are in place
- Measurable - Your goal should have concrete criteria for measuring progress and reaching the goal
- Attainable - Your goal should be realistic and possible for your team to reach
- Relevant - Your goal should matter to your business and address a core initiative
- Timely - You should have an expected date that you will reach the goal
Typically, marketers might have goals for Visits, Contacts, and Customers for the year, quarter, or month and the numbers are closely related to each other. We've found that focusing on one of these specific segments gives the clearest vision of success.
- Visits - You should focus on visits if you are just getting started with your website, or if you already have good conversion rates for visits to leads and leads to customer, but need additional traffic to add some fuel to the fire
- Contacts - You'll want to focus on Contacts if you are satisfied with the amount of traffic to your content , but you are not getting enough leads for sales. This is the segment that most HubSpot users focus on
- Customers - Focus on this If you are getting a healthy amount of traffic to your content, visitors are converting on forms, but the leads just aren't ready to close into customers
You may be asking yourself "How do I determine a Visits, Contacts, or Customer Goal?". We recommend examining your current situation:
- What have you been focusing on in the past? Is it Visits, Contacts, or Customers?
- What are you currently spending the most of your time on? Is it Visits, Contacts, or Customers?
- How much time do you have per week? A few days or a few hours?
- Who else is helping you? Are you the only one using HubSpot or do you have colleagues?
For more information on setting and reaching an obtainable goal, check out this blog post before you move forward.
Once you're ready, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to your HubSpot Marketing Dashboard.
- Hover your mouse over your Marketing Performance widget and click the button to Set goals.
- On your first time setting up your smart goals, you'll see a prompt that will allow you to start with last month's numbers for some realistic numbers for comparison, or you can start from scratch if you have specific numbers in mind for your goals already.
- In the text boxes, enter your monthly goal numbers for Visits, Contacts, and Customers > click Set goals.
Congratulations! You have set your SMART Goals. After you progress through your month and/or quarter, you can always head back to your Dashboard and check off Show goal line to review how well you're performing against your Goal.
You can also edit your SMART goals at a later date by navigating back to the Marketing Performance widget. Hover your mouse over the widget and click Actions at the top-right, and then choose Edit goals.