The Marketing Performance widget on your HubSpot marketing dashboard can be used to track your monthly progress against custom goals. If your marketing team needs to achieve certain website session and lead numbers each month, this is the easiest way to track your progress towards those goals.
HubSpot users that have the most success identify their long-term marketing goals using the SMART goal framework. A SMART goal stands for:
- Specific: your goal should be unambiguous and communicate what is expected, why it is important, who's involved, where it is going to happen and which constraints are in place.
- Measurable: your goal should have concrete criteria for measuring progress and reaching the goal.
- Attainable: your goal should be realistic and possible for your team to reach.
- Relevant: your goal should matter to your business and address a core initiative.
- Timely: you should have an expected date that you will reach the goal.
Typically, marketers might have goals for sessions, contacts, and customers for the year, quarter, or month, and the numbers are closely related to each other. Focusing on one of these specific segments gives the clearest vision of success.
- Sessions: you should focus on sessions if you are just getting started with your website, or if you already have good conversion rates for sessions to contacts, and contacts to customers, but need additional traffic.
- Contacts: you should focus on contacts if you are satisfied with the amount of traffic to your content, but you are not getting enough leads for sales. This is the segment that most HubSpot users focus on.
- Customers: you should focus on customers if you're getting a healthy amount of traffic to your content and visitors are converting on forms, but the leads just aren't ready to close into customers.
You may be asking yourself, How do I determine a sessions, contacts, or customers goal? To do so, you can examine your current situation with these questions:
- What have you been focusing on in the past? Were you focusing on sessions, contacts, or customers?
- What are you currently spending the most of your time on? Is it sessions, contacts, or customers?
- How much time do you have per week? A few days or a few hours?
- Who else is helping you? Are you the only one using HubSpot, or do you have team members using HubSpot?
For more information on setting and reaching an obtainable goal, check out this blog post before you move forward.
- In your HubSpot account, click Dashboard in the main navigation menu.
- Hover over the Marketing Performance widget and click Set goals.
- In the dialog box that appears, choose if you'd like to Start with last month's numbers for some realistic numbers for comparison, or Start from scratch if you have specific numbers in mind for your goals.
- Enter your monthly goal numbers for Sessions, Contacts, and Customers, then click Set goals at the bottom left.
Your SMART goals have now been set. After you progress through the month and/or quarter, you can head back to your dashboard and check Show goal line to review how well you're performing against your goals.
You can choose to edit your SMART goals at a later time. Hover over the Marketing Performance widget, then click the Actions dropdown at the upper right and select Edit goals.