The location your email was opened in that's displayed in your HubSpot Sales notifications is based on the IP address of the person opening it. There are a number of reasons that the location might seem strange, primarily related to the nature of IP addresses.For example, if you send an email to someone in New York and it's listed as opened in California, it might be that:
- The person is temporarily in California.
- The person has forwarded the email to someone in California.
- The person is using technology that changes their IP address to a different location (e.g. VPN, dial up internet, internet proxy).
- Their internet provider makes the request look like it's from California even though it's from New York.
- The information we use to show the location might be incorrect (IP addresses and the geographic information associated with them are constantly changing). We're constantly updating our database to make sure that we're using the most up to date information.