The drag and drop email editor provides an intuitive interface to create and scale your email marketing efforts for your business. Each email created in the editor will render a clean and responsive design on any email client and device type.
Follow the steps below to create and send a new marketing email. Then explore additional HubSpot resources to continually improve your marketing email campaigns.
Please note: the drag and drop editor is currently available for Marketing Hub Starter users only.
Create a new email
- In your Marketing Hub Starter account, navigate to Email to access your email dashboard.
- Click Create email in the upper-right corner.
- Select a template based on the type of email you want to create. Each email template is comprised of customizable elements such as images and text fields, which are grouped into sections.
Edit your layout and content
- To add more content to your template, click and drag a new element from the Content tab directly into the email editor. You'll see a blue line appear along the outside edges of your layout indicating where the new piece of content will be placed.
- To modify your template layout, hover over a specific element and click the blue edge on the left to drag it to a new position. The icons that appear in the upper-right corner can be used to clone duplicate or delete delete that element.
- Click the Design tab in the left sidebar to customize your template's fonts, headings, colors, border, and spacing.
- Click the area just outside of your email content to select a section of elements to modify in the left sidebar. Within the Section settings you can:
- Specify the number of columns and how they should be arranged in that section under Column layout.
- Customize spacing, colors, and patterns for that section of your email.
- Click directly on an element to customize its content in the email editor. Images, buttons, and dividers can all be customized in the left sidebar, while text elements can be edited directly in the email editor.
- You can add personalization to your text by pulling in values directly from the contact records of your email recipients. To do so:
- Click Insert > Insert personalization token.
- Use the dropdown to select whether to pull in a value from the Contact or associated Company record.
- Select which property value to pull into the email body.
- Enter a default value that can be used for any contact without a value for this property and click Save. Then click Insert to add the token to your text.
- As you're making changes to your email, you can click Revisions in the upper-right corner to review saved versions in a pop-up modal. You'll see the timestamp of your saved draft in the left sidebar, along with the name of the user who modified the email.
- To restore a previously saved version of the email, select the version you want from the left sidebar and click Choose.
Edit your settings
- When you've finished updating your email content, click on the Settings tab across the top to enter additional details:
2. From address: the email address the email is sent from and your recipients can reply to. Use the dropdown to select the email address of any users in your account or to choose the owner.email token to automatically pull in the email address of the HubSpot Owner for the recipient. You can click Add/Manage to add additional emails or click Personalize to use personalization to pull in another email address stored on the contact record.
3. Subject line: enter a compelling subject line here. You can click on the smiley face icon emoji to add emojis to your subject line. Click Personalize to insert a personalization token here.
4. Internal email name: the name you and your team will see for this email in the email dashboard.
5. Language: the language used for your unsubscribe links at the bottom of your email.
- Click Next in the upper-right corner to select your email recipients.
- Click the tabs under Select recipients to toggle between your Lists and Individual contacts.
- Hover over a specific list or contact and click Include. You can also click Exclude to make sure specific contacts or lists are omitted from your email send.
- In the Suggested lists section there are some shortcuts available to create lists of contacts who have filled out one of your forms, or were originally created from a form submission. Click Create this list to instantly create a list with these parameters.
- Use the checkbox in the lower-right corner to indicate whether you'd like to omit contacts with low engagement. This feature is best used after you've already sent a few email campaigns from HubSpot, so there is data to identify your unengaged contacts.
Review your email
- After selecting your recipients, click Next in the upper-right corner to advance to the Review tab to see a dashboard of any missing or suggested items. Required items will be flagged in red, while additional items will appear for review under Suggestions.
- Click Resolve to jump over to the section of the email editor that needs to be updated.
- Before you send your message, you can click Preview in the upper-right corner to see how your email will render on a desktop or mobile device.
- By default, your email will render with default values for personalization. To see how your email will render for a specific recipient, use the dropdown in the upper-right corner to preview your email as a specific contact.
- You can also send a test email to your own email or another user in your account:
- Click Test in the upper-right corner.
- Specify the recipients for your test email to indicate where you want the email to be delivered.
- You can also choose to preview the email as it will appear to a specific contact. This is useful for testing personalization.
- After you've made your selections, click Send test email.
Send or schedule
- Click the Send or schedule tab across the top when you're ready to send your message. You can send your email right away, or select Schedule for later to send it at a specific date and time in the future.
- Once you've entered all the detailed required, click Send now or Schedule now.
- After your email campaign has been sent, learn how to analyze your email results to understand what's working well and what can be improved.
- If you receive feedback from some contacts that they did not receive your email in their inbox, check out some steps your contacts can take to improve deliverability for future emails.
- Check out email marketing lessons from HubSpot Academy to learn how to improve your marketing email content and strategy.