If you would like to personalize the From name and From address of an email so the email appears as if it is coming from someone specifically identified in the recipient's contact record, you can use your contact properties as personalization tokens for those required fields.
For example, you may want to send an email to contacts as coming from the contact's consultant. You can create Consultant Name and Consultant Email as custom contact properties. You will then be able to send the email from HubSpot using each of the respective properties as the From name and From address.
Follow the steps below to see how to send an email appearing as if the email is coming from a specific person as identified in the recipient's contact record.
Create custom properties to use as personalization tokens
- If you have not already done so, create custom contact properties for a custom From name and From address (ie. Consultant Name, Consultant Email). Be sure the From address property contains a properly formatted email address.
- Once the custom properties are created, be sure your contacts contain values for those properties. If necessary, you may import values into those properties. For existing contacts, the .CSV spreadsheet you import can simply contain a column for Email (the email address of the contact record) and the two columns for the custom properties.
Select the custom properties as personalization tokens in your email draft
- In your HubSpot Marketing Hub Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account, navigate to Marketing > Email. Select your email draft or create a new draft.
- Locate the Email Details section at the top of the email editor, then click Edit Details.
- If you are adding a token for the From name, click Add/Manage next to the From name field. If you are adding a token for From address, click Add/Manage next to the From address field.
- In the Manage From Names or Manage From Addresses modal, click Personalize.
- Select a property type, then choose a property from the dropdown menu. Set a default value to be displayed if a value does not exist for a contact, or check the Use this property's global default box to use the default value defined in your email content settings.
- Click Insert, then click Done.
- This will set the custom properties as personalization tokens in the From name and From address fields.
Please note: when sending test emails using the Send a test email feature in HubSpot, the from address and name will still appear as "noreply" with a preview subject line. When you send your email, the correct personalization token will be used. If you'd like to test this, you can send the email to yourself, then clone it to send to your contacts.