- Navigate to Content > Email and select a sent email to view details.
- Click on either the Performance or Recipients tab.
- Hover over the graph and sub-tabs to see an explanation of email statistics.
Performance tab metrics
- Sent - The number of contacts that were selected to be sent the email minus ineligible (previously hard bounced or unsubscribed) contacts.
- Open rate - Open rate is the percentage of people who opened your email out of the people who were delivered your email.
- Click rate - Click rate is the percentage of people who clicked a link in your email out of the people who were delivered your email.
- Click through rate -This is the percentage of people who clicked a link in your email out of the people who opened your email.
- Successful deliveries - The total number of email addresses whose server reported to us that the email was delivered. This number generally equals Sent minus Hard Bounce, Soft Bounce (pending).
- Bounces - The total number of emails that bounces. You can click into this statistic to see more details in the Recipients tab.
- Unsubscribes - The number of contacts who unsubscribed (opted out) from a particular email. They will be marked as ineligible for your subsequent campaigns. You can click into this statistic to see more details in the Recipients tab.
- Spam reports - The number of contacts that either click to mark your email as spam or drag your email from the inbox into the junk folder. You can click into this statistic to see more details in the Recipients tab.
Recipients tab metrics
- Sent - The total number of contacts on your selected recipient lists minus blocked recipients (exclusion lists). Please be aware that if your email message contained multiple recipient lists, we compile a final list of contacts and remove duplicates so no one receives more than one of the same email message.
- Delivered - The total number of email addresses whose server reported to us that the email was delivered.
- Opened - The number of emails that were opened and had “display images” enabled. Keep in mind that only about half of all email clients display images by default, so this metric is more useful as a general directional indicator rather than a source of raw numbers.
- Clicked - The number of unique recipients who clicked on any link in your email, excluding the Unsubscribe and Subscription Preferences links.
- Bounced - the total number of selected emails that bounced on the send. Bounces are filtered into more detailed categories depending on the nature of the bounce:
- Hard bounce - A hard bounce means that the address is invalid and should not be sent to again. The email might belong to an unknown user, the content of your email might have triggered their spam filter, or the server might have seen too many other contacts marking your email as spam. When a contact’s email returns a hard bounce, they will be marked as ineligible for future emails. If a contact is valid but bouncing due to their email security filter, you can work with the contact to whitelist your sending IP addresses and unbounce their record.
- Soft bounce - A soft bounce means that the email temporarily failed to reach its intended recipient. The email will be resent for up to 72 hours or until it’s either successfully delivered or it fails more permanently. This count is the total number of email addresses that returned a soft bounce at any time during this send. Recipients that return soft bounces will still be eligible for future email sends. Deferred is also a Soft Bounce, and in the same manner the email message will continue to be resent for up to 72 hours.
- Unsubscribed - The number of contacts who unsubscribed (opted out) from a particular email. They will be marked as ineligible for your subsequent campaigns.
- Spam reports - The number of contacts that either click to mark your email as spam or drag your email from the inbox into the junk folder. Contacts that mark your email as spam are automatically unsubscribed from all of your future emails. Please be aware that Marked as Spam is not the same as an email being filtered into a spam or bulk email folder.
- Not sent (i.e. Ineligible) - Contacts that were excluded prior to sending because they've previously unsubscribed, marked your email as spam, or hard bounced. In some instances, you may also see the term Dropped, which basically means an email was not sent to contacts because they are already Ineligible for email.
An important point to keep in mind is that you don't have to take any action to ensure bounced contacts or recipients that opt out or mark your message as spam are not mailed again. HubSpot takes care of that on your behalf; anyone who bounces or unsubscribes will remain in your account so you can maintain your own data, but we automatically suppress them from any future campaigns you send. You can learn more about best practices to see better results with your email deliverability in this article.