While each member of your team will need to set up their own availability for sales messages, you can have some control over who is available for chatting using message routing.
Message routing allows you to specify how you want messages from visitors to reach your team members. You have three options here: route incoming chats, set an offline fallback, and rotate to owner.
Route incoming chats
You can set up message routing for each message upon message creation in the Routing step explained in this article. You can also edit an existing message to set up routing:
- In your HubSpot Sales Starter or Professional account, navigate to Sales Tools > Messages.
- Hover over your message and click Edit.
- Click Message routing on the left.
- Click the dropdown menu under Route incoming chats to: and select the users or teams you'd like the message to be routed to.
- Click Save changes in the upper right-hand corner.
What is an offline fallback, and how do I select a user as an offline fallback?
Sometimes visitors will arrive on your site ready to chat, but none of your team members will be online. In this case, the visitor will see your away message and will have the option to send their message as an email and leave their email address so a user can follow up later. The user you specify as the offline fallback will receive these emails from visitors.
To specify your offline fallback:
- After navigating to Sales Tools > Messages in your Sales Starter or Professional account, hover over a message and click Edit.
- Select Message routing on the left.
- Select a user from the dropdown menu beside Offline fallback. Click Save changes once you've selected a user.
What does rotate to owner mean, and how can I enable/disable this option?
Enabling the rotate to owner option will route all incoming messages to the assigned owner of a contact. If a visitor already exists in your contact database and is owned and tracked with a cookie, then their owner's avatar will be shown in the messages chat window. When the visitor sends a message, it'll be routed to the visitor's owner if they're online. If the owner is offline, then the message will be emailed to the visitor's owner.
When this setting is enabled, messages will be sent to the HubSpot owner instead of the team members that have been specified in message routing.
If you have this option enabled and a visitor is not an owned contact in your database, then their message will be routed to whichever team members have been specified in your message routing settings.
To enable/disable this option:
- Under Sales Tools > Messages in your Sales Starter or Professional account, hover over an existing message and click Edit.
- Click Message routing in the left sidebar.
- Check the box on/off beside If a visitor is owned, route their incoming chats to the HubSpot owner to enable/disable this option. When you're done, click Save changes.