There are two ways to create contacts using sales messages:
- Create a contact manually: ask for a visitor's contact information while chatting, and create the contact manually right from your messages tool.
- Enable the 'Collect visitor's email address' setting: after initiating a conversation, the visitor will be prompted to enter an email address so that you can follow up via email if they close out of the chat widget before you can reply.
Create a contact manually
While chatting with a visitor, you can ask for their contact information. Then proceed to create them as a contact:
- In your chat window, click Associate visitor in the right sidebar menu.
- In the dialog box, type your visitor's email address. If a contact is found in your database with a matching email address, you can click Associate contact to associate your visitor with the existing contact. If the visitor doesn't exist, proceed to type in their first and last name and then click Create contact.
Enable the 'Collect visitor's email address' setting
With the Collect visitor's email address setting enabled, visitors will be asked if they'd like to enter their email address while waiting for a reply from you. You can also customize this prompt message. To enable this setting and set up the message:
- In your HubSpot Sales Hub Starter or Professional account, navigate to Sales Tools > Messages and click Settings. Alternatively, you can click Settings in your main navigation bar and then select Sales > Messages in the left sidebar menu.
- Hover over the message you wish to enable this setting for and click Edit.
- Click Message on the left.
- Select the checkbox beside Collect visitor's email address to turn the setting on. Type your message in the Email address prompt message field and then click Save when you're done.
- With this setting enabled, a visitor will see a prompt to enter their email address once they send you a message. If they enter their email address and click the checkmark icon, they'll be created as a contact.
Can a contact be created automatically via messages?
Visitors cannot be added to your HubSpot contacts database automatically simply by starting a chat. They're still associated with an anonymous tracking cookie until you receive either an email address from them or manually add them as a contact.
If the visitor leaves your site before they're added as a contact, they will still have a unique cookie associated with their browser. Therefore, if you have a history of chatting with a visitor and they return to your site later in the same cookied browser, the messages tool will load your conversation history with that visitor.
Please keep in mind, however, if the same visitor returns to your site after deleting their browser cookies or returns to your site on a different device, then the cookie won't be the same, and the conversation history will not be loaded.