HubSpot is all about Inbound Marketing. However, if you do need to track the success of an offline ad, we recommend creating a memorable URL that redirects to a tracking URL to monitor the success of your campaign.
1. Create a Landing Page
Create a landing page that contains an action item or conversion form where you will be directing your audience.
- In Hubspot, navigate to Content > Landing Pages.
- Build your Landing Page.
- Save and Publish your page.
- Copy the URL of your page to your clipboard (you will need this URL in the next step).
2. Create a Tracking URL for your Landing Page
In order to attribute traffic to a specific campaign in your Sources Report, we recommend using a tracking URL.
- Navigate to Reports > Reports Home > Tracking URL Builder.
- Click on the button, 'Create a New Tracking URL'.
- Paste in the URL of your page (from step 1).
- Choose a Campaign or create a new one.
- Set a unique Source. We recommend bucketing visits like this under the Other Campaigns section in the Sources report. To accomplish this, exclude the following words from your source and medium: email, ppc, cpc, and adwords. For example, to categorize visits under 'Other Campaigns' > My April Campaign > tradeshow/april2014: set Campaign Name = 'My April Campaign',Source = 'Other Campaigns' and 'tradeshow', Medium = 'april2014'. Click on the Bucketing rules link at the top of the tracking URL builder for additional information about sources bucketing.
- Copy the full tracking URL to your clipboard, you will need this URL in the next step. We recommend you use the "full tracking URL" instead of the shortened URL because the shortened URL redirects to the longer URL, and having fewer redirects is generally considered a better practice.
3. Set up a URL Mapping from a memorable URL to your tracking URL
It would be difficult to read out a tracing URL (like http://offers.hubspot.com/inbound-marketing-assessment?utm_campaign=My%20April%20Campaign&utm_medium=april2014&utm_source=tradeshow) at a tradeshow or you may not like the appearance of the tracking URL on a print ad. We recommend coming up with a memorable URL that is part of your domain (like hubspot.com/inbound2014) and then setting up a URL mapping from this memorable URL to your tracking URL.
- Navigate to Content > Content Settings > COS URL Mappings.
- Click to 'Add a new URL mapping'.
- For 'The Original URL or path', paste in your memorable URL (ex. http://hubspot.com/memorable-url)
- For 'The destination URL or path', enter your tracking URL (ex. http://offers.hubspot.com/inbound-marketing-assessment?utm_campaign=My%20April%20Campaign&utm_medium=april2014&utm_source=tradeshow).
- Leave the redirect type set to 'Permanent (301)?'
- Click to 'Add URL Mapping'.
4. Test your Offline Ad URL
Now test it! Go to the URL you built for use in your offline ad. It will redirect you to the landing page you created with tracking parameters added to the URL.
5. Analyze the Results
Once your offline ad has launched, you will find visits to your website from this campaign in the Sources Report under Other Campaigns > [your campaign name] > [source/medium].