The links tool tracks domains linking to your website, and also provides a snapshot of sites linking to your competitors. Use the links tool to enhance your link-building strategy.
To use the links tool:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Reports > Analytics Tools.
- Click Links.
At the top of the links tool, you'll see the following data:
- Total Links Found: The total number of links on external domains linking to a page on your site.
- Total Linking Domains Found: The number of unique domains that contain a link to a page on your site.
- Total Average Authority: Average estimated authority of the domains containing links to your site
Within the links chart, you'll see the following data:
- Authority: The estimated authority of the domain linking to your site based on a 0-10 range, 10 is the highest authority.
- Domain: The domain sending links to your website.
- Links: The total number of links to your site from the domain.
- Visits: The number of visits to your site from the linking domain in the selected timeframe. These visits will appear in the Sources Report under 'Referrals'.
- Contacts: The number of Contacts generated during the selected time period whose first visit to your site was from the linking domain.
- Customers: The number of Contacts generated during the selected time period that are now Customers whose first visit to your site was from the linking domain.
- First Link: The first time someone visited your website from the linking domain.
- Last Activity: The last time someone visited your website from the linking domain.
Drilldown into a domain to see the inbound links
Click on a domain name to see the actual inbound links from that domain. You will be able to see the authority, link URL, number of visits, number of Contacts, number of Customers, date the link was first found, date the link was last found, the number of outbound links on the page, and if the link is passing SEO credit.
View a Competitor's inbound links
Click on the domain dropdown to see sites that are linking to your competitors, as listed in the Competitors tool.
Find inbound links for any domain
Click Find links for any domain to quickly find links for a domain not listed in the competitors tool.
Enter a domain to view its inbound links. This is useful when you want to look at link building opportunities for a company that may not be a direct competitor, but has high-quality links in your industry.
Make a list of sites to target
Look through the list of sites linking to your competitors and create a list of these sites that you would like to target for inbound links. When you look at who's linking to your competitors, keep an eye out for the following things:
- Links from industry blogs or news articles.
- Links from a domain with a high Authority. The link Authority range is from 0-10 and is based on SEOMoz's MozRank.
- Industry directories.
- Links with good, keyword-based anchor text.
- Follow links.