Salesforce now gives users the option to turn their default State and Country fields into picklists (click here for instructions).
If you turn on State and Country picklists in Salesforce, we recommend that you use the corresponding default dropdown options in HubSpot; any values passed to Salesforce must be an exact match or they will result in a validation error and the record not syncing.
- To convert your HubSpot State and Country fields from a text field to a dropdown select, simply navigate to Contacts > Contacts Settings > click the field you want to edit.
- In the pop up window change field type to Dropdown Select > click Load Options > select the corresponding field.
If you are unable to edit your state and country fields in HubSpot, please contact Support.
- Salesforce requires that if a state is provided, the country in which that state is located must also be provided in order for a record to be saved. If the country is not provided Salesforce will return a validation error and the record will not sync.
- Non-matching values and mis-matched state/country pairs will prevent the HubSpot contact from syncing to Salesforce and result in a validation error
To help with these limitations, after turning on the picklists in both HubSpot and Salesforce, navigate in HubSpot to Account Menu in the top right > Integrations > click Settings in the Salesforce section > Salesforce State and Country picklists
- Set this to Yes and Save
This setting will translate HubSpot's abbreviations (e.g MA or US) to Salesforce's default full names (e.g. Massachusetts or United States) during the sync. With this setting enabled, any changes to the default values in HubSpot, such as changing "TX" to "Texas", will prevent contacts from syncing; changing Salesforce's default values from "Texas" to "TX" will also prevent contacts from syncing. If you plan to customize the default state or country picklist values in either HubSpot or Salesforce, please disable this setting and ensure that HubSpot's State and Country picklist values exactly match Salesforce's State and Country Values.There are a few other things to keep in mind when looking into using State and Country picklists
- Maintaining a single line text field for the State and Country fields in HubSpot often results in conflicts, as this allows users to enter non-standardized values which Salesforce will not accept.
- When changing the HubSpot field to a dropdown select, old values will remain in the Contact Property, but will not be available for use on forms and lists. If any of these values are non-standard in Salesforce, the contacts will not be able to sync. HubSpot recommends using HubSpot workflows to clean up the historical values and ensure that all records can sync
- Ensure that your State and Country fields in Salesforce are set to allow HubSpot updates Always before doing a data cleanup. You can find more information on how to do that here