Salesforce gives users the option to turn their default state and country fields into picklists. To sync HubSpot state and country properties with the corresponding Salesforce picklist fields:
- Navigate to contact properties:
- In your HubSpot Marketing Professional or Enterprise account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts Settings.
- In your HubSpot Sales Professional account, navigate to Contacts. Click Customize > Edit properties at the upper right.
- Locate and click the State or Country property to edit.
- Click the Field type dropdown and select Dropdown Select.
- Click Load options... then search for State or Country and click Load options.
Please note: Salesforce requires that if a state is provided, the country must also be provided in order for a record to be saved. If the country is not provided, Salesforce will return a validation error and the record will not sync. Non-matching values and mismatched state/country pairs will also prevent HubSpot contacts from syncing to Salesforce and result in a validation error
- Click your photo or avatar in the top right-hand corner, then click Integrations.
- Scroll down to Salesforce and click Settings.
- Scroll down to the Salesforce State and Country list section, then select Yes. Your changes will save automatically.
Please note: this setting will change HubSpot's default full names (e.g. Massachusetts or United States) to Salesforce's abbreviations (e.g MA or US) during a sync. With this setting enabled, any changes to the default values in HubSpot, such as changing "Texas" to "TX", will prevent contacts from syncing; changing Salesforce's default values from "TX to "Texas" will also prevent contacts from syncing.
If you plan to customize the default state or country picklist values in either HubSpot or Salesforce, please disable this setting and ensure that HubSpot's State and Country picklist values exactly match Salesforce's State and Country Values.
- Maintaining a single line text field for the state and country properties in HubSpot will often result in conflicts, as this allows users to enter non-standardized values which Salesforce will not accept.
- When changing the HubSpot field type for state or country to Dropdown select, old values will remain in the property but will not be available for use in HubSpot forms or lists. If any of these values are non-standard in Salesforce, the contacts will not be able to sync. It is recommended to use workflows to clean up the historical values and ensure that all records can sync
- Ensure that your state and country field mapping rules are set to Use most recent value before doing a data cleanup. Learn how to do so here.