With the sequences tool, you can send a series of targeted, timed emails to nurture a prospect over time. You have the ability to:
- Send one contact a series of templates at specified intervals.
- Automatically end the sequence when the contact replies to an email.
- Customize any of the templates in the sequence when you enroll individual contacts.
- Add tasks to your sequences and assign those tasks to task queues.
If you're not currently using HubSpot Sales Starter or Professional, learn how to upgrade here.
Create a sequence
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Sales Tools > Sequences.
- Click Create Sequence.
- Give your sequence a name.
- Next, add steps to your sequence by dragging either a task or template from the left sidebar menu.
- You can also create a custom task right from your sequence. To do so, drag and drop Add a custom task from the Tasks tab of the left sidebar menu. Then add a description and click Done.
- Once you add a task, choose the delay (the number of days or weeks) between the previous step and the task using the dropdown menus following If no reply after. Alternatively, you can select the No step delay checkbox if you would like the task to occur at the same time as the previous sequence step.
- You can click the pencil icon in the upper right-hand corner of your task to open an editing dialog box where you can edit the task's name and type. You can also assign this task to a task queue. Only your task queues will be options for you to select.
- Add steps until your sequence is complete. Keep in mind that each sequence is limited to five email templates, although you can add as many task reminders as you would like.
- There is a limit of 1,000 sequences/account.
Enroll a contact in a sequence from your HubSpot account
Please note: if you have templates that contain curly brackets anywhere in your sequence, when you attempt to enroll a contact in the sequence, you'll experience a continual loading screen. If this happens, remove any curly brackets from your template and then re-enroll the contact.
You can enroll contacts in a sequence from their contact record and also directly within Gmail. Please note that a connected inbox is required to send emails from a contact record in the CRM.To enroll a contact in a sequence from your HubSpot account:
- In HubSpot, navigate to Contacts.
- Select the contact you would like to enroll to open their contact record.
- From the contact record, select the Email tab. Then select Sequences.
- In the dialog box, hover over the sequence you wish to enroll the contact in, and click Select.
- In the next screen, set up your sequence settings and personalize the templates. You can edit the email body and also insert snippets and documents using the two icons in the botton right-hand corner of a template.Then click Start sequence.
Although it is not possible to enroll multiple contacts in a sequence with one click, you can use the task queue to help automate the process. Read more here.
Enroll a contact in a sequence from Gmail or Outlook
It is also possible to enroll a contact in a sequence directly within Gmail using the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension or from Outlook using the HubSpot Sales extension for desktop on Windows or the Office 365 add-in.Compose a new email in your email client, and select Sequences:
- In Gmail, select Sequences in your email composer after adding a recipient.
- If you're using the Office 365 add-in on web or desktop, after composing a new email and adding your recipient, select Sales Tools (or the HubSpot icon if you're in the web app) and then select Sequences from the sidebar menu.
- If you're using the Outlook plugin in Outlook for desktop on Windows, select Sales Tools > Sequences in your email composer after adding a recipient.
- In the modal box that appears, hover over the sequence and click Select.
- Set the starting date and time for the sequence and customize any steps for the particular contact you're enrolling as needed. If you'd like to skip the first step in the sequence, click the Start sequence at dropdown menu and select the step at which you'd like the sequence to begin.
- Click Start sequence to enroll the contact.
See your scheduled sequence emails
After enrolling your contacts in a sequence, you can see your teed sequence emails under the Scheduled tab on your sequences dashboard (Sales Tools > Sequences). Here, you'll see the contacts that are active in a sequence and the emails that are scheduled to be sent to them. You can hover over an email to edit it or to unenroll the contact from the sequence. Learn more here.