If your hard bounce rate for sequences emails is high, you will receive an email alert in your inbox and your in-app notification center.
These notifications first serve as a warning. If you continue to send to addresses that hard bounce, you may lose access to certain sequences features.
In order to lower your hard bounce rate, you need to send emails to verified email addresses that don't bounce, or send less email over a 30-day period.
Review the following email sending best practices to help lower your high bounce rate:
- Create saved filters of unengaged contacts and remove these contacts from your account.
- Remove contacts that have hard bounced from your account.
- Don't send to contacts who have asked you not to contact them.
- Make sure your contacts' email addresses come from verified sources, and that these contacts have opted in to receiving email communication from you.
- Use personalization tokens in your sales email templates to increase engagement.
Create a filter of unengaged contacts
To make sure you're only sending to engaged contacts with verified email addresses, you can filter your contacts based on properties that measure their level of engagement with your emails. Then, you can stop enrolling these contacts in your sequences or delete them from your account all together.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts.
- In the left sidebar, click + Add filter.
- Search for one of the following properties:
- Recent sales email opened date
- Recent sales email email replied date
- Recent sales email clicked date
- Select a filter for your criteria. For example, segment your contacts by the criteria Recent sales email replied date is unknown, which would filter contacts who have never responded to your sales email outreach. Or, you could segment your contacts using the criteria Recent sales email replied date is Last year, which would filter out contacts who haven't replied to your emails since last year.
- Click Apply filter.
- Click Save.
- Enter a name for the saved filter and decide whether or not you'd like to make it accessible to your team members only or to everyone. Then click Save.
- In the left sidebar, click the Options dropdown menu and select Delete.
- In the dialog box, click Delete to remove these unengaged contacts from your account.