When attempting to enroll a contact in a sequence, you might come across an error message informing you that the contact cannot be enrolled:
This message appears when you're attempting to enroll contacts with a specific opt-out status or with previous send failures. On your sequences summary page, you'll see error badges show up under the Enrolled and/or Email columns. In your HubSpot Sales Hub Starter or Professional account, navigate to Automation > Sequences. Click on a sequence to access its summary page. The following sequence error types are:
- BLOCKED_ADDRESS: this contact’s email address is blocked by HubSpot. Try a different contact or confirm this contact’s email address is up-to-date before enrolling again.
- BLOCKED_DOMAIN: the domain associated with this contact’s email address is blocked by HubSpot. Try a different contact or confirm this contact’s email address is up-to-date before enrolling again.
- RECIPIENT_PREVIOUSLY_BOUNCED_ON_PORTAL: previous emails sent to this contact from your HubSpot account bounced. Try a different contact or confirm this contact’s email address is up-to-date before enrolling again.
- RECIPIENT_PREVIOUSLY_BOUNCED_GLOBALLY: previous emails sent to this contact from other HubSpot accounts have bounced. Try a different contact or confirm this contact’s email address is up-to-date before enrolling again.
- PREVIOUSLY_MARKED_AS_SPAM: a previous email sent to this contact’s email address was marked as spam.
- OTHER_SEND_REJECTED: a previous email in this sequence was dropped by the contact’s inbox service provider, so they are unable to receive more emails.
- UNSUBSCRIBED: the recipient has opted-out of receiving all emails from your company.
- UNSUBSCRIBED_PERSONAL: the recipient has opted-out of receiving these types of emails from your company.
- ALREADY_ENROLLED: the contact is already enrolled in a sequence.
Listed below are some additional sequence error messages you might see that are geared toward your HubSpot account and email provider rather than specific contacts. Additional context on what the errors mean and what you can do to resolve them is also included.
Rate limit reachedSorry. Your template wasn’t sent because you've already exceeded your email provider's daily send limit for the day you scheduled it to send. To keep this contact in the sequence, just start again at this step.
Daily send limits are set on emails sent through sequences so you don't hit your email provider's limit. If a contact encounters this error in a sequence, you should re-enroll them at the following step.
Send failureYour email provider is either having connection issues or they've failed to send your email. Please try reconnecting your inbox before you re-enroll your contact.
There are a few reasons you may see a Permanent fail error for a contact in a sequence. Please check your internet connection and try re-enrolling your contact at this step. Also, try reconnecting your inbox, as your email provider may be preventing you from sending the sequence step to this contact.
Inbox disconnectedYour inbox was disconnected when you were trying to send. Please reconnect your inbox and try again.
We were unable to access your email account to send this sequence step. Please check your inbox connection within HubSpot and your email client.
Gmail send error (if enrolling a contact in a sequence from Gmail)
When you enroll a contact in a sequence from Gmail, the first step is executed by Gmail, not the HubSpot email system. This enrollment failed because Gmail failed to send the first step.
We're unable to see what caused this error, so try re-enrolling the contact from Gmail after a few minutes. If the issue persists, reach out to Google Support or use the CRM to enroll your contact.