The set up checklist below walks through getting you and your team set up with the HubSpot CRM.
Now you're ready to get set up on the CRM. Walk through the steps below to get up-and-running. (For more in-depth instructions on getting started the the CRM and Sales Free, check out the User Guide here.)
- Add your team members
- Create custom properties to store your data
- Create custom deal stages
- Import your contacts, companies, and deals
- Create saved filters
- Configure your HubSpot CRM settings
- Connect to HubSpot Sales
1. Add your Sales team as users in HubSpot
- To manage your users in the CRM, navigate to Settings > Users & Teams.
- Here you can view all users that exist in the CRM. Double-check that all members of your team are listed. If anyone is missing, add them as a user by clicking Create User. Make sure to send them a welcome email so they can log in.
If you are an account administrator, you can also edit user permissions from this screen.
- To edit a user's permission click the name of the user and make your changes. Click here to view a breakdown of CRM User Permissions.
HubSpot CRM stores the details about your contacts, companies, and deals in "properties" (you may have heard these described as "fields" before). The CRM comes with several standard properties (e.g. phone number, city) to get you started, but you can create custom properties that are more relevant to your specific business.
To create custom properties:
- Navigate to Settings then select Properties from the left sidebar menu.
- From here, click into the relevant object type tab – Contact properties, Company properties, or Deal properties.
- Click Create a property.
- Add your Label to name your property (internal name should populate).
- Select the Field type.
- Click Create to finish.
Deal Stages allow you to categorize and track the progress of the deals that you are working on within HubSpot CRM. Each Deal Stage has a probability associated with it that indicates the likelihood of closing deals marked with that Deal Stage.
Here's how you can edit your deal stages:
- Navigate to Settings > click Sales from the left side menu > click Deals in the menu that appears.
- Scroll down to Deal Pipelines and Stages.
- Click Edit next to an existing pipeline to make changes to deal stages or click Add another pipeline.
- Click + Add a deal stage or click on any existing stage to edit.
- Click on the left side of any stage and drag to rearrange the order.
- When you've finished customizing your pipeline, click Save.
Before you start working in the CRM, you'll need to make sure any important contact, company, or deal data you have is brought into the CRM.
A few things to note before importing your data:
- HubSpot deduplicates contacts in the CRM using the Email address.
- HubSpot deduplicates companies in the CRM using the Company Domain Name property (the website domain of the company).
- Before importing any data, you'll want to decide how you want to associate contacts with companies. If you want to save time with this process, you can let HubSpot do this for you by turning on automatic association of companies. This setting looks at the email address on the contact and the company domain name on the company to automatically associate the two.
To import your data to HubSpot CRM, head over to the Import Manager (Contacts, Companies, or Deals > gear icon in the top right > Import) and upload a CSV document. It should look something like this:
You can then map the columns in your CSV file to properties in the CRM.
Everything should appear in your CRM as soon as it’s done processing the import. For more information about importing data into the CRM, check out these resources:
- How do I import contacts to the CRM?
- How do I import companies to the CRM?
- How do I import deals to the CRM?
- How do I import contacts from another CRM to HubSpot?
- Sample import files
Saved filters can be created within contacts, companies, deals and task objects. Below, as an example, you will see how to do this in your contacts database.
- Navigate to Contacts.
- From the left sidebar, click + Add filter.
- Choose the properties and criteria that you wish to use for segmentation. For example, you can segment based on State/Region and number of Emails Opened.
- You can add additional filters by clicking + Add filter again.
- After adding your filters, you have the option of creating a new saved filter and exporting your list of contacts.
To create a new saved filter, click Save. Give a name to your new view, decide if you'd like it to be private or shared, then click Save again. For more information about saved filters, check out this article.
To export your list of contacts, click the Options dropdown and select Export.
Please note: It is currently not possible to use the same property for more than one filter or to use more than one criteria for a single property when creating a filter.
Once you've added your users and uploaded your data to the CRM, it's time to manage your portal defaults and configure your CRM Settings.
Setting portal defaults allows you as the admin to dictate which properties will appear for all users by default in the About section on contact, company, or deal records, as well as in the dialog box when you create a new contact, company or deal.
- Navigate to Settings > choose Contacts & Companies, or Deals (within the Sales option in the left side menu.)
- Click Manage next to Set the properties your team sees on contact record or Set the properties your team sees when creating contacts.
- In the dialog box, search or browse for properties you'd like to add and check the box next to a property to add it to the Selected Properties column. Click on the far left side of a property in the Selected Properties column and drag to rearrange the properties.
- Click Save changes.
Users can also set user-specific properties to appear in the About section of records and in the dialog box when creating new records. For instructions on this, click here.
Setting your time zone
To set the time zone for reporting in your accounts, navigate to Settings and select Account Defaults in the left side menu. Locate the Time zone dropdown menu to make your change.
Setting your deal currency
The currency symbol that appears before your deal amounts in the CRM can be customized under Settings > Account Defaults. Locate the Currency dropdown menu to make your change.
For new users, HubSpot Sales and the HubSpot CRM will be integrated right out of the box. You won't need to take any added steps to make this happen. If you are an existing user that has separate HubSpot CRM and HubSpot Sales accounts, check out this article to walk through getting them connected.