HubSpot's lead scoring tool uses both behavioral and demographic data to add/deduct points into the default property HubSpot Score. This is designed for simplicity so sales and marketing teams can look at the same score versus having to keep track of multiple places in order to understand how engaged a contact is. Yet sometimes you may have the need for multiple contact scores, especially in the following scenarios:
- You have drastically different sales teams that don't overlap (e.g., a partner sales vs. a direct channel) and the buying behavior of contacts is completely different.
- You have completely different products so someone's likelihood to convert and buy product A doesn't have anything to do with their likelihood to convert and buy product B.
In those situations, you can create multiple lead scores by creating a custom property and using your workflows tool. You'd still need to identify what attributes make someone more likely to become a customer, and you can do this right in the workflows tool using behavioral and demographic information (properties, page views, form submissions, etc.).
First, you will create a custom contact property.
- Label and name the property. You can call it something along the lines of Lead Score for Product XYZ or Lead Score for Team XYZ.
- Select the Field type, Number.
- Save your property.
Now that you have created your custom Lead Score contact property, create a workflow to increase the value of the property.
- Navigate to Workflows:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Automation > Workflows.
- In your Sales Hub Professional account, navigate to Automation > Workflows.
- Click Create workflow.
- Name your workflow and select Start from scratch. Then click Create workflow.
- Select the appropriate enrollment triggers for your workflow. For example, you can enroll contacts who have the value of Boston for the City contact property. Click Done and then Save.
- Click on the + button to add an action to your workflow.
- Select Add if/then branch and choose criteria you want to use for your lead score. Click Save.
- Under the YES branch, select Increase contact property value, then select your custom property (Lead Score for Product XYZ).
- Put the number of points you want to add for that custom property in the Numeric value field.
- Click Save (you can do something similar for the No branch).
- When you're ready to activate your workflow, click Review in the top-right corner. Review your workflow settings, then click Activate.
For more information on workflows, please visit the Workflows User Guide.