Using workflows, you can copy property values from contact or company enumeration properties to text properties. Enumeration properties are properties that have a defined set of options: dropdown select, radio select, and multiple checkboxes properties in HubSpot.
Please note: the internal value for each option will be copied. This can sometimes differ from the option's label. To see the internal values for a property's options, navigate to Contacts > Contact Settings, select the enumeration property and expand the Edit Options section. Learn more about internal values in enumeration properties here.
To copy an enumeration property to a text property in a workflow:
- Navigate to workflows:
- In your HubSpot Marketing Professional or Enterprise account, navigate to Contacts > Workflows.
- In your HubSpot Sales Professional account, navigate to Sales Tools > Workflows.
- Create a new workflow or edit an existing workflow.
- Click the plus (+) icon to add an action to your workflow.
- In the Select an action panel to the right, scroll down to the Contact properties or Company properties section and select Copy contact/company property value.
- Set the details of your action:
- In the Source contact/company property dropdown menu, select the original property from which you'd like to copy the value.
- In the Target property type dropdown menu, choose whether you'd like to copy the value to a contact or company property.
- In the Target property dropdown menu, select the property to which you'd like to copy the value from the source property.
- Click Save.
- Add any additional actions as necessary and click the toggle switch at the top of the page to turn your workflow on and begin enrolling contacts.
Please note: this process may work differently than expected when using a Multiple checkboxes enumeration property as the source property. Based on the way we store multiple values for enumeration properties, copying a multiple checkboxes property to a text property can have unexpected consequences. Let's look at an example:
A contact fills out a form and selects "Apple," "Cherry," and "Strawberry" for the Favorite Pie multiple checkbox form field. On the contact's record, we see the data displayed as separate values.
However, that's just how the data is displayed. For contacts with multiple options selected in multiple checkboxes properties, the data is actually stored as Apple;Cherry;Strawberry. When we copy the value from the enumeration property to a text property we've created, that's the value that will appear.
It is also important to note that this does not work the other way around; you cannot copy text properties to enumeration properties. Attempting to copy a text value that does not match a valid enumeration property value will fail because enumeration properties have a defined set of values that can be used, whereas text properties can store any value.