Using if/then branching logic in Workflows, you can set a "default" property value for contacts who meet the enrollment criteria of the workflow, but don't already have a value set for that particular property.
Please note: Workflows are available to Marketing Professional and Enterprise customers only.
In order to set a default value in workflows:
- Navigate to Contacts > Workflows
- Click New workflow.
- Name your workflow, choose a workflow type, and set the enrollment criteria. Learn more here.
- Click the plus icon to add an action and select Add if/then branch.
- Set the criteria of your if/then branch to Contact Property, select the property for which you wish to set a default value, then choose is known.
- In our example, we only want to set this property for contacts who don't already have a value, which is why were are using if/then branching logic. In this scenario, if a contact already has a value for this property, they will follow the Yes side of the branch. If the contact does not have a value for the property, they will follow the No side of the branch, which is where we will add an action to set the value for the property.
- Click the plus icon under the No branch to add an action.
- Choose Set contact property value.
- Select the property you'd like to set as default (the same one you used in the if/then branch criteria) and choose the value you'd like to set for all contacts who do not currently have a value for this property.
- Click Save.
- You can let the Yes branch end (don't add actions), unless you have other actions you'd like to be taken on contacts who do have a value for this contact.
This concept can be applied to any contact properties you use. One common example where this can be applied is to setting a default HubSpot Owner for all contacts who don't meet requirements to have an owner assigned in another way, or who don't yet have an owner.