You should create topics in your blog tool so that your visitors can easily view all the posts you have on specific topics. Follow these steps to brainstorm what your blog topics will be and then learn how to add them into the blog tool.
Brainstorm a list of initial topics
- Do user persona research to determine what types of content your target personas may be interested in
- Ask your sales team what are the most frequently asked questions in your sales process and set out to answer them on your blog.
- Answer the questions your marketing team fields most frequently.
- Write about what you wish people knew about your industry, especially if there are some commonly held myths that you can bust.
- Discuss current events in your industry that your company has a viewpoint on.
Before you add any topics to your HubSpot blog, you will want to have a general idea of the types of things that you will be blogging about. Below are some questions that users should ask themselves when thinking of different blog topics:
- What different products or services do you offer?
- What types of problems do your readers(s) have?
- What FAQs do you receive?
- What do your readers want to learn?
- What areas of knowledge does your company have unique expertise on?
Check out this blog post to learn how to generate ideas.
Navigate to the Topics dashboard
In your HubSpot Marketing account, navigate to Content > Blog.
From the blog dashboard click Topics.
Add a topic
Click on the Add new topic button to create a new topic for your blog.
Name your topic
Type in a name for the new topic and then click the Create topic button to finish creating the topic.
Apply topic to a post
Once you have created a topic, you can apply it to the post from within the Settings tab of the post editor. Type the name of the topic in the Topics section and choose it from the dropdown. You can also create topics directly from the settings screen of a posts, by typing a topic that does not exist.
Revise topics over time
Over time, you may decide to revise your topic list. HubSpot allows you to combine, rename, and delete topics.
To combine topics, choose the individual topics you'd like to group together by clicking the checkbox next to the topic name. Then, click Combine selected topics button.
From this window you'll see the topics you selected and then a dropdown to allow you to Combine together as: - once you choose the topic name you want to group them together as (you can choose an existing topic name from the dropdown or type in a new topic name to create), click the Combine topics button.
After a few seconds, the topics will be grouped together and any post filter modules you use on your website will be updated with the change.
Rename topicsClick on the gear icon for a topic and then click on Rename in the drop-down menu.
You'll be prompted to type in a new name for the topic and can save the change by clicking on the Rename topic button.
You'll be asked to confirm that you want to delete the topic and remove it from the live blog posts that are attached to that topic. Click the Delete topic button to finish deleting the topic.