Properties are fields that store information on HubSpot records. For example, you can use the City company property to specify where companies are located. There are default properties included for each object, but you can create custom properties to store unique data for your business.
You should check whether a default property can meet your data requirements before creating a custom property. Learn more about the default properties for contacts, companies, deals, tickets, and feedback submissions.
You can also clone, delete, and export properties from your settings. If you want to view or update values for properties, learn how to edit property values on a record or in bulk.
To create and edit properties:
In your HubSpot account, click the settings settings icon in the main navigation bar.
In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Properties.
Click the Select an object dropdown menu, then select [Object] properties to create or edit a property for that object.
Please note: you must have Edit property settings permissions to create or edit properties. The number of custom properties you can create depends on your HubSpot subscription. If you downgrade to HubSpot's free tools, you can view and edit existing custom properties but cannot create new properties if you already exceed the limit.
If you’re creating a new property, click Next. If you’re editing a property, navigate to the Field type tab.
To set or edit the property’s field type, click the Field type dropdown menu, then select a field type for the property.
Please note: changing an existing property’s field type can invalidate current values stored in the property. It is recommended to export all information prior to editing a property's field type. A property's field type cannot be edited to Score, Calculation, or Date, and properties of those types cannot be edited to another field type.
- Number: select the format the values should be in. Options include Formatted number, Unformatted number, or Currency.
Calculation or Score: click Build [calculation/score], then set up your calculation property or score property criteria.
Multiple checkboxes, Dropdown select, or Radio select:
- To edit the options in bulk, select the checkboxes next to the options. At the top of the table, select:
- Hide in forms: click to hide the selected property values from appearing in your HubSpot forms as options.
- Merge: click to merge the selected property values. This will result in the merged values being removed from the property, leaving one value. This may affect integrations and tools that rely on a specific property value, such as list and workflow filters.
- Delete: click to delete the selected property values.
- Click and drag the dragHandle drag handle to manually reorder the options, or click the Sort dropdown menu and select Custom or Alphabetical.
- If you’re creating a new property, click Next. If you’re editing a property, navigate to the Rules tab.
- Set or edit rules for your property:
- By default, properties are included as field options in your HubSpot forms, pop-up forms, and bots. If you don't want the property to be an option, clear the Show in forms, pop-up forms, and bots checkbox. Product properties cannot be included in forms or bots.
- There are additional rules you can set for Single-line text, Multi-line text, and Number properties:
- For company, deal, ticket, or custom object properties, select the checkbox to require unique values for the property. With this turned on, users will be unable to enter the same value for multiple records. You can create up to ten unique value properties per object.
- Select the Show in search checkbox (Enterprise only) to make values in the property searchable across objects in the global search bar. You can create up to three searchable properties per object. This option does not appear when creating or editing custom object properties because all custom object properties are searchable by default.
- For deal currency properties, by default, the currency format uses your company currency. If your account uses multiple currencies, to set up a property that's based on each deal's currency, select the Use record currency instead of company currency checkbox. Learn more about using multiple currencies with deals.
- Once you’re done, click Create or Save at the bottom of the panel.
Products & Quotes