Once you've defined a custom object, either in your HubSpot settings or via API, you can create new custom object records. Custom object records can be created manually from the object index page, or through other HubSpot tools. If you've created duplicate records, you can also merge existing custom object records.
Learn more about best practices for creating and using custom objects in your HubSpot account.
To manually create a custom object record:
- Once you're done, click Create [custom object], or to create another record, click Create and add another.
Once you create a custom object record, you can access the record to log and retrieve information. You can associate custom object records to other objects, such as companies or deals, and organize your records in pipelines. You can also customize the properties that appear in your custom object records' sidebars, association cards, and board cards.
There are additional ways to create custom object records in HubSpot:
- If you're moving from another CRM or have data in a spreadsheet, you can import records into HubSpot.
- You can sync custom object records from Salesforce. Learn how to set up and use the Salesforce custom object sync.
- You can create records via the Create record action in a workflow. To create custom object records in workflows, the custom object must have a defined relationship with the workflow's object. For example, if a custom object record hasn't been associated with a contact, you can't create custom object records in contact-based workflows.
Merge custom object records
If you've created duplicate custom object records, you can merge them. Merged records cannot be unmerged, but you can use the Merge [custom object] IDs property to view which records were previously merged into an existing custom object record.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Custom Objects, then select the object for which you want to create a record.
- Click the name of the record that will be the primary custom object record.
- In the left panel, click the Actions dropdown menu and select Merge.
- Choose the custom object record you want to merge into the primary record. Select your secondary custom object record, then click Merge.
- You'll be notified that the merge is in progress. It can take up to 30 minutes for all of the custom object activities to sync.
Once merged, the following will occur:
- In general, the property values of the primary record are adopted by the resulting record. The exceptions are:
- Create Date: the value for the older record is maintained.
- Record ID: the resulting record will have a new value that is different from the primary and secondary custom object records.
- Activities and records associated with either of the merged records will be associated with the resulting record.
- The secondary record will be unenrolled from all workflows. The primary record will not automatically enroll in any workflows as a result of data changes that happened during the merge. Moving forward, the resulting record can be enrolled in workflows due to property changes or actions unrelated to the merge.