A call-to-action (CTA) is an engaging button or link that you place on your website to drive prospective customers to convert to leads on your landing page forms. Use the CTA dashboard in HubSpot to create, manage, and analyze your CTAs.
From the CTA dashboard, you can:
- See the amount of views of and clicks on your CTA.
- Analyze the results of your CTA.
- Chart the performance of CTAs over time.
- See what content a CTA currently added to.
- Compare how your CTA is performing on particular pages.
- Copy the embed code to add your CTA to an external website.
Learn how to use your CTA dashboard to its full potential.
1. Go to Content > Calls-to-Action
From your HubSpot dashboard, navigate to Content > Calls-to-Action.
2. Choose your filter
You have the option of viewing all of your CTAs at once, filtering them by campaign, or filtering them by the following categories: standard CTAs, smart CTAs, and variation testing group CTAs. Choose which of your CTAs you would like to view by using the filter drop-down menu. Please note that only Professional and Enterprise customers have access to the Smart CTA function, and only Enterprise customers have access to A/B variation testing.
You adjust the time frame of your CTA analytics to a preset or custom timeframe.
You can also search for a particular CTA by using the search bar at the top of the page.
3. Analyze results on the dashboard
The CTA dashboard provides you with metrics on your CTA button's performance.
On the toolbar you'll find:
- Status: The activity level of a CTA. The bright green circle means that the CTA is live and indicates how many pages the CTA is on. The faded green circle means that there are no recent views. The grey circle means that there is no data available for this CTA yet.
- CTA: The name and a visual preview of what each CTA looks like, so that you can easily distinguish among your other CTAs.
- Updated: The date that the CTA was last modified.
- Views: The number of times your CTA has been seen by visitors.
- Views -> Clicks -The percentage of views that lead to clicks of your CTA.
- Clicks -The number of clicks the CTA has received.
- Clicks -> Submissions -The percentage of CTA clicks that lead to form submissions on the associated landing page.
- Submissions - The number of form submissions on the associated landing page that were completed after the CTA was clicked on.
You can sort your filtered views by clicking on the headers of the CTA, Updated, Views, Clicks, or Submission columns. While all metrics are useful, Views -> Clicks metric is usually the main gauge as to the effectiveness of your CTA at generating traffic to your landing page.
You can see what HubSpot COS hosted content your CTAs are embedded on by clicking on the icons depicted below:
- 1. Pages - includes both Site Pages and Landing Pages
- 2. Landing pages
- 3. Emails
- 4. Blog posts
After clicking one of these icons, you'll be able to see all the content of that type that features this CTA.
4. Chart CTA performance
You can chart the performance of any CTA or set of CTAs for the selected time period, by clicking the graph icon below the CTA name.
You can toggle which metric is used on your chart, by selecting an option from the dropdown. In the example below, click through rates are compared for CTAs to "Join the Beta program" and "Complete Beta Survey"
You can open and close the chart by clicking Show Chart and close the chart by clicking Close Chart.
5. Display in-depth analytics
You can click on the Details link to display the full analytics for a particular CTA.
Click the + icon to see the CTA's metrics broken down by the URLs the CTA has had views on.
Understanding the performance of CTAs on different areas of the website proves critical for increasing click through and submission rates. It is possible that a CTA has a stellar performance on one page but doesn’t do well on another page. Being able to understand what pages work with what CTAs give marketers the insight to understand what drives conversions. Please note that the in depth look at a CTA's performance is not affected by the timeframe on the main CTA dashboard.
6. Get the external embed code of the CTA
To add your CTA to a non-HubSpot site, click on the Embed Code link above the CTA you would like to add.
If you want to use your CTA on an external (non-HubSpot-hosted) website, simply copy the code. When you're done, click the X icon and paste the code into the HTML of your external page. Read this guide to learn more about how to insert a CTA into a non-HubSpot website page.
7. CTA Click Tracking Domain
The click tracking domain allows you to control what domain appears when people look at CTAs on your website. CTAs generate a special link on the connected HubSpot domain of your choice and redirect to the page that you choose as the destination of your CTA. You can learn more about CTA Click Tracking domain here.
To change this domain, click Settings.
Select the domain that you would like to use.
Now that you have learned your way around the CTA dashboard, you are ready to start creating or editing some CTAs.
Next Article: How to create a Call-to-Action (CTA) in HubSpot