When you open a tracked email that you sent from your Outlook or Gmail inbox, you may trigger an instant open notification from HubSpot Sales. If you want to block these notifications, make sure you're using the most up-to-date version of the extension or add-in and that you've configure your browser to support notifications.
Block self-open notifications with the Outlook desktop add-in
Please note: these steps apply to the HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in on Windows. If you have the HubSpot Sales Office 365 add-in, follow the troubleshooting steps for that add-in instead.
- Ensure you are allowing cookies in Internet Explorer. When you sign in to HubSpot Sales in Outlook (for Windows), Internet Explorer is used in the background to save your login information. If cookies are not enabled in Internet Explorer, you may have two problems:
- You'll be asked to log in to HubSpot Sales every time you open Outlook.
- You'll receive a notification saying the recipient opened your emails when you open it in your sent folder.
To allow cookies in Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- In the upper right, click the gear icon, then select Internet Options.
- Click the Privacy tab.
- On the Privacy tab, click Advanced.
- Make sure Accept is selected under Third-party Cookies, and the Always allow session cookies checkbox is selected.
- Click OK.
Once these settings are saved, you may be prompted to sign into HubSpot Sales in Outlook one more time. With cookies enabled in Internet Explorer, you should no longer need to log in to HubSpot Sales every time you open Outlook moving forward.
Block self-open notifications with the Chrome extension
By default, if you open a tracked email in your Gmail sent folder, the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension will not trigger a notification. However, if your browser has a misconfigured setting or you have a conflicting extension, HubSpot may not block these self-open notifications. To prevent self-open notifications:
- Ensure that your Chrome browser and extension are up-to-date.
- Ensure that another browser extension isn't conflicting with the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension.
- Ensure that you’re not blocking third-party cookies in your Chrome browser.
- Clear your browser cache and cookies.
You can also prevent open notifications from your colleagues or specific contacts by blocking their IP addresses. Learn more about blocking specific IP addresses from tracking in your HubSpot account.