After you've published and sent marketing emails, you can review trends of your emails from the email dashboard. You can also drill down and analyze the delivery rates and engagement for individual sent emails.
Analyze the performance of a sent email
To see the performance details for a specific email, navigate to your email dashboard.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Email.
- Click the name of your sent email.
- Click See details to open a slide-in panel with complete email details, including the internal email title, subject line, from address, and the user who sent the message.
There's a high level overview of email engagement in the Performance tab and more details for each recipient in the Recipients tab. You can export this data using the Export dropdown menu in the upper-right.
The Performance tab summarizes how your recipients engaged with your email. If you have HubSpot's integration with Shopify enabled, you can also analyze influenced revenue from abandoned cart emails associated with the integration.
All accounts include the following email performance data:
- Open rate: the percentage of people who opened your email out of the people who were delivered your email.
- Click rate: the percentage of people who clicked a link in your email out of the people who were delivered your email.
- Deliverability results: a dashboard listing the number of successful deliveries, bounces, unsubscribes, and spam reports. Clicking any of these metrics leads to a detailed breakdown of recipient data in the Recipients tab.
- HTML click map: shows a visual breakdown of all your clicked links in the email. Hover over a specific link to view more detailed click statistics.
- Top clicked links: report shows your top clicked links in the email. Use the tabs in the upper right to view HTML, plain text, or combined links.
- Top engaged contacts: report shows the contacts that opened or clicked the email. Use the tabs in the upper right to view top engaged contacts by clicks or opens.
Marketing Hub Starter, Basic (Legacy), Professional, and Enterprise accounts include additional email performance data:
- Time spent viewing email: this report shows whether your recipients read, skimmed, or glanced at your email based on how long it was viewed on their email client.
- Engagement over time: this graph shows your email opens and clicks over time. This data can help you learn what times of day are best to reach out to your contacts.
Hover overparts of the graph to reveal open and click data for a specific date and time. To analyze data from a specific timeframe, click the All dropdown menu in the upper right.
- Opens/Clicks by email client: this graph shows detailed information about opens and clicks by
The Recipients tab provides a granular view of your email's deliverability and engagement with each contact. Click the Recipients tab, or click any blue metrics on the Performance tab to navigate to see all recipients included in that metric.
Use the left sidebar menu to filter recipients based on their engagement with the email. Then click the expand icon > next to a specific contact to see detailed information about the engagement:
- Sent: contacts on your selected recipient lists minus blocked recipients (exclusion lists). If your email message contained multiple recipient lists, HubSpot compiles a final list of contacts and removes duplicates so no contact will receive more than one of the same email message.
- Delivered: contacts whose email server sent HubSpot a response stating that the email was delivered.
- Opened: contacts who opened the email.
- Clicked: contacts who clicked any link in your email, excluding the unsubscribe or subscription preferences links.
- Bounced: contacts who bounced and didn't receive the email. For each bounced contact you'll see the following details:
- The bounce type.
- A short explanation about the email bounce type.
- The exact response HubSpot received from the recipient's email server. This information can provide context about the bounce reason. If you know the bounced contact's email address is valid, ask them to whitelist your sending IP addresses, then unbounce the contact.
- Unsubscribed: contacts who received the email and opted out of this or all email subscription types. These contacts will be dropped from future emails.
- Spam reports: contacts who reported this email as spam to their email provider, or manually dragged the email from their inbox into their junk folder. These contacts will be dropped from future emails.
- Not sent: contacts who were dropped automatically to protect your email sender reputation. This includes contacts who previously hard bounced, opted out of this subscription type, or marked a previous marketing email as spam. This also includes contacts that haven't confirmed their subscription and contacts omitted due to low engagement. Click the Filter by dropdown menu to filter by the exact reason why contacts didn't receive the email.
Analyze your overall email performance
To analyze your email marketing campaigns overall, navigate to your email dashboard and click the Analyze tab.
You can view the reports of your recipient engagement and delivery data, along with email performance data over a given time period. You can also review the details of all your marketing emails in the Email Performance dashboard at the bottom of the page.
To change the time period of all the reports on the page:
- In the top right, click Filter reports.
- Under Date range, click the Select a range dropdown menu.
- Select a date range to change the data shown in each of the reports.
Review email performance data
The Recipient engagement and Delivery reports show you a high-level summary of your email performance and deliverability over the given time period.
You can also see the performance of your marketing emails over time in the Email data chart. By default, the Performance over time filter shows you the click-through rate and open rate of your emails, but you can change the filter to review a different email metric, such as Sent, Opened, Delivered, or Unsubscribed.
The Email performance chart shows each of your emails as a data point based on open and
At the bottom of the page, in the Email performance dashboard, you can analyze the results of all your marketing emails individually. Click Campaigns to switch the view of the dashboard and see the aggregate performance of all the marketing emails in a specific campaign. You can also change the metrics to analyze by clicking Edit columns.
Save a report to your reports library
You can save the Recipient Engagement, Delivery, or Email data chart to your reports library, which will allow you to add the report to one of your dashboards:
- In the top right of the report, click the Actions dropdown menu.
- Select Save as report.
- In the dialog box, configure the details of your report:
- Enter a report name.
- Select the radio button to confirm whether you'd like to add the report to a dashboard:
- Don't add to dashboard: HubSpot won't add the report to any of your dashboards, but will save the report to your report library so you can use it later.
- Add to existing dashboard: you can select an existing dashboard to add the report to.
- Add to new dashboard: you can create a new custom dashboard by entering a name and selecting a visibility option, then add the report to that new dashboard.
- Click Save & add.
Export your email performance data
To export all of your email performance reports:
- Make changes to the time period filter at the top of the page, or each of the individual report filters for specific performance metrics as needed; any filters set on your dashboard will also apply to the export file.
- In the upper right, click Export charts.
- In the dialog box, enter a Report name, then click Export.
- You'll receive an email from HubSpot in your inbox. In the email, click Download, then save the file to your device.
Email marketing in sources data (Marketing Hub Basic (Legacy), Professional, and Enterprise only)
The sources report shows you how your email marketing efforts are driving your contact or customer number. To access sources data:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Reports > Analytics Tools.
- Click Traffic Analytics.
Here, you can view information about how many visits, contacts, and customers were a result of your email marketing efforts within a given time range. In the Source column, click Email marketing to drill down into the information on visits, contacts, and customers by specific email campaigns.