Migrating marketing platforms doesn’t have to be a difficult task. Before you get set up with HubSpot, it’s a good idea to download your contacts from your email service provider (ESP) or customer relationship manager (CRM) to add them to your HubSpot account.
Terms to know
Learn how HubSpot refers to the same tools and features you're familiar with from Constant Contact.
|Marketing email||Campaigns||Tool used to create marketing emails|
|Files||Library||Tool for uploading and editing files|
|List||Email list||Tool to segment and manage contacts|
|Contact record||Contact profile||A place to store, track, and manage information about an individual in your database|
Export contacts from Constant Contact
Please note: for the most up-to-date instructions, refer to Constant Contact's documentation on exporting your contacts.
There are a number of different status types in Constant Contact, including: Active, Implied Permission, Express Permission, Unsubscribed, Awaiting Confirmation and No Permissions Set.
To export contacts by status type, export each type separately in your Constant Contact account:
- In the navigation menu, click Contacts, then select the status type (e.g. Active) to export.
- In the upper left, select the header row checkbox to select all contacts for the export.
- Click Export.
- Select the properties you want to include in this export. Be sure to include the Email property.
- Click Export Contacts.
- After the export is done processing, you'll see a banner appear with download links. Click Download CSV or Download Excel to download your export file.
Open the export files and review the contacts' details. You can also sort your contacts based on property values before importing. Contacts that have expressed consent to receive your emails can be imported into your HubSpot account as a new contact list. Learn more about how to prepare your import file for HubSpot.
If you have a PieSync account, PieSync has built a connector with Constant Contact to sync your information in to HubSpot through their integration.
Import your opt-out list into HubSpot
- No Permissions Set
- Awaiting Confirmation
- Select An opt-out list.
- Click select a file. In the dialog box, select the import file from your device.
- Click the Email field column header dropdown menu and select the column header of the column in your import file that has the Email field.
- In the bottom right, click Next, confirm your choice.
- In the text field, enter the number of contacts to confirm they will be opted out from receiving emails.
- In the bottom right, click Begin import.
Import your contacts into HubSpot
Follow the instructions below to import a list of contacts into HubSpot. Learn how to import contacts associated with another object type in your HubSpot CRM.
- In the upper right, click Import.
- Click Start an import.
- Select File from computer, then click Next.
- Select One file, and click Next.
- Select One object, and click Next.
- Click choose a file and in the dialog box, and select your import file. In the bottom right, click Next.
- On the Map properties screen, HubSpot automatically matches columns in your file to your contact's properties. You'll see a preview of the property values from your spreadsheet in the Preview Information column.
- If any columns do not match an existing property, click the corresponding dropdown menu:
- Select an existing property to map the column to.
- Click Create a new property to set up a new custom property in the right panel.
- Select Don't import column to skip importing this column from your spreadsheet. You can select the Don't import data in unmatched columns checkbox to skip any columns without a match.
- After you've mapped all of the columns from your file, click Next.
- On the details screen, enter an Import name.
- If you're importing a file with only contacts, select the Create a list of contacts from this import checkbox to automatically create a list when the contacts are imported.
- If you're importing a file with a date property, use the Date format dropdown menu to confirm how the date values in your spreadsheet are formatted.
- If you've turned on General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) functionality in your account, use the Set the legal basis for processing a contact's data dropdown menu to select a lawful basis of processing.
- Once you've set the options for your import, click Finish import in the bottom right.
Manage account settings and import files
After importing your contacts, configure your email settings and import any image files you want to host in HubSpot: