Search your HubSpot contact database
- Log into Gmail and expand your contact profiles sidebar menu by clicking the sprocket icon on the right-hand side.
- To search for a particular contact by name or email address, type the name or email in the search bar at the top of the sidebar menu.
- Once you find the contact you're searching for, click the contact's name to pull up more information from their HubSpot contact record.
- Alternatively, you can use your saved filters from HubSpot to search your contacts in the contact profiles sidebar menu. Click the All contacts dropdown menu in your contacts profile sidebar menu and select a saved filter (you can also use the search bar to search for a saved filter by name). This will pull up contacts who are in that saved filter in your HubSpot account.
Edit contact properties and create tasks for contacts
This is where you can edit contact properties and create tasks for the contact.
Edit contact properties
After searching for a particular contact and clicking the name to see more information, you can edit the contact's properties from the sidebar menu; this information will be saved in the HubSpot contact record as well:
- In the sidebar menu, click About to view the contact properties. The properties here are the ones specified as default in your HubSpot account. Learn how to customize your default properties here.
- Hover over the contact property you wish to edit and click the pencil icon.
- Enter a new value for the property and click Save.
Create tasks for a contact
After searching for a particular contact and clicking the name to see more information, you can create a task that will be associated with the contact:
- In the sidebar menu, click Tasks. Here, you'll see the contact's existing tasks if they have any. Click Create task to create a new task for the contact.
- Two fields will appear. Enter the task name and select a due date for the task. Then click Save.
The task will be saved in the contact profiles sidebar menu under the contact's Tasks section. It will also be saved in HubSpot under Tasks in your main navigation menu as well as on the contact's timeline.
Access the contact record in HubSpot for calling
While you can search your database and edit contacts right from your inbox, you may wish to jump to the contact record in HubSpot to see additional information. To do so, in the contact profiles sidebar menu, click the contact's name and then click the Actions dropdown menu in the upper right-hand corner > Open in CRM.
You can also select Call. You'll be brought to the contact's record in HubSpot, and the Call tab above the timeline will be automatically selected, where you can choose to start a call with the contact.
Add email recipients as contacts to your HubSpot accountWhen emailing someone who isn't in your HubSpot contact database, click Add to CRM in the contact profiles sidebar menu to add the contact to your HubSpot account. After adding them, you can edit their contact properties from the sidebar menu without leaving your Gmail account.
What to do if you're not seeing contact profiles
First, adjust your cookies settings in Chrome:
- Click the three dots in the upper right-hand corner of Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down and click Advanced. In the Privacy and security section, click Content Settings > Cookies.
- Ensure that the Block third-party cookies setting is toggled off. Your changes will be saved automatically.
- If you are unable to toggle Block third-party cookies off, click Add in the Allow section and add [*.]getsidekick.com, [*.].hubspot.com, and [*.]hsappstatic.net to explicitly allow them.
- Refresh Gmail.
Additionally, some Gmail Labs are incompatible with HubSpot Sales due to inconsistent formatting of their beta features. Specifically, the Gmail Lab called Preview Pane is not compatible with contact profiles in Gmail. Disabling this should allow the contact profiles sidebar to appear properly. To do so:
- Open Gmail.
- Click the gear icon and select Settings.
- Click the Labs tab.
- Search for Preview Pane and disable the feature.
If you still encounter inconsistency with contact profiles, disable any other Labs features.