Common uses for static lists
Static lists can help you accomplish tasks with your contacts in HubSpot. They are used:
- as criteria for creating other static or smart lists.
- to manually add contacts to a workflow.
- for one-time email blasts, email campaigns that you don't run often, and for a list of contacts that doesn't change frequently (e.g., event attendees, staff lists for an internal newsletter, or lists from a trade show).
- for manually grouping contacts that may not have a shared list criteria.
- for segmenting contacts to bulk delete contacts from your account.
Common uses for active lists
Active lists can end up saving you a lot of time. They are used:
- to send unique marketing emails based on each contact's behavior and properties. If you send out a regular newsletter, you can use an active list to automatically manage the continually changing list of subscribers.
- to place outbound calls to contacts based on contact behavior and property values.
- to group your contacts by lifecycle stage and to identify behavior and properties for contacts in each stage. These active lists help you quickly see how many contacts are in each stage.
- to segment contacts based on properties that change frequently over time, such as Hubspot Score.
Create a new list
- In your HubSpot Marketing Hub Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account, navigate to Contacts > Lists.
- Click Create list in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click the pencil icon at the top left and enter a name for the list, then click the dropdown menu in the upper left and choose Active list or Static list.
Next, you'll set the criteria in the segmentation category you've chosen. In the example below, contacts are filtered by their Lifecycle stage contact property, with a value of Marketing Qualified Lead. Learn more about how to decide your list criteria.
Once you've set your criteria, click Done. You'll see a list of contacts start populating on the right as you begin segmenting. This is a preview of the estimated number of contacts that will be added to your list.
Save your list
Click Save in the upper right-hand corner when you're done segmenting your list. Your list may take a few minutes to process.
Search your list and perform more actions with your list
Once your list is processed, you can search for a specific contact using the search bar in the upper right-hand corner. Click the Actions dropdown menu in the upper right-hand corner to perform additional actions with your list:
- Edit columns
- Test a contact
- Create a report
- View list performace
- Resync list with Salesforce
- Use this list to limit Salesforce Sync
Click < Back to lists in the upper left-hand corner to return to your list dashboard, where you'll see your new list. Hover over the list and click Details to view additional information about your list. Click the More dropdown menu for the following options:
- Move to folder
- View list performance