Create multi-touch revenue attribution reports
Last updated: October 8, 2021
|Marketing Hub Enterprise|
Create a custom multi-touch revenue attribution report. Multi-touch attribution relates revenue in the form of "credit" to customer interactions in HubSpot, so you can understand better how the marketing and sales activities are creating revenue for your business.
Data used for the report
If you're not seeing the expected data in your report, understand what data the report uses. The report will not take into account:
- any revenue or customer interactions outside of HubSpot;
- any revenue or customer interactions from deals that do not have known property values in the Amount property, Create date property, and Close date property; and
- any sales activities (i.e., calls, meetings, conversations, and one to one emails) that are not associated to both a contact record and a deal record with the above property values.
Only deals that meet all following conditions will be included in the report:
- The deal needs to be in a closed-won stage.
- Check your deal pipeline to identify if there's a closed-won stage.
- If it doesn't exist, create a new deal stage or edit an existing deal stage to be closed-won.
- Update your actual won deals to be in this stage.
- The deal needs to have at least one contact associated to it.
- The report is based on contact's interactions that HubSpot tracked. Without an associated contact, the revenue will not be attributed to any interactions.
- If a deal has no associated contact, you may want to identify the most appropriate contact for the deal and associate the contact with the deal.
- The deal needs to have known property values in the Amount property, Create date property, and Close date property. These property values are required for the report. If they are empty, add the correct value to the deal properties.
If a deal misses one or more of the above conditions, it will be excluded from any revenue attribution reports.
If a deal meets all the conditions, the main data that will be used for the report include:
- Revenue from the deal's Amount property.
- Common interactions and activities associated with the deal record and a contact record.
Create a custom multi-touch revenue attribution report
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Reports > Reports.
- In the upper right, click Create custom report.
- In the left panel, select Attribution.
- Select Revenue, then click Next in the top right.
- Click the pencil icon edit iito name your report.
- In the left panel, Explore tab, you can learn about the different types of reports you can create using revenue attribution.
- Click See how it works to watch a video tutorial and read more about how revenue attribution can help you with measuring your marketing activities.
- In the Sample reports section, click View to check out a sample report that helps to answer the question stated. This will automatically set certain options in the Configure tab for you to produce the report.
- To configure your report, in the left panel, click the Configure tab:
- Chart type: select how you want your data to be visually represented.
- Deal close date: select a date range. The revenue from the deals closed within that date range will be included in the data for the chart. If you select a date filter containing a Week, the week starts on Sunday.
- Deals: select specific deals to only report on the revenue from those deals.
- Deal pipeline: select specific pipelines to only include revenue from closed deals in those pipelines.
- Deal owner: select specific owners to only include revenue from closed deals owned by the selected users.
- Deal type: select a type of deal to only include revenue from deals of the selected type. By default, deal types are either a New Business or Existing Business. You can edit or add new deal types in your deal property settings.
- Campaigns: select specific campaigns to only include revenue from closed deals associated with the campaigns.
- Companies: select specific companies to only include revenue from closed deals associated with the selected companies.
- Content types: select specific types of content to only include revenue from closed deals associated with contacts who interacted with the selected content types.
- Interactions: select to display revenue from all interactions, marketing interactions only, or sales interactions only.
- Marketing interactions only: only revenue driven by content will be displayed.
- Sales interactions only: only revenue driven by calls, meetings, sales emails, and conversations will be displayed.
- Dimensions: select a dimension to slice the deal revenue credit by. You can click Add another dimension to slice the data further. This can be by:
- Content type: select to assign deal revenue credits by content type. Learn more about content types.
- Content title: select to assign deal revenue credits by the titles of your content. Where the content does not have a title, the URL of the content will be displayed.
- Deal: select to assign deal revenue credits by deal.
- Deal pipeline: select to assign deal revenue credits by deal pipeline.
- Deal type: select to assign deal revenue credits by deal type.
- Campaign: select to assign deal revenue credits based on assets associated with your HubSpot campaigns.
- Interaction source: select to assign deal revenue credits by interaction source. Learn more about interaction sources.
- Interaction type: select to assign deal revenue credits by interaction type. Learn more about interaction types and how you can customize them for your report.
- Attribution Models: click Choose to select one or more attribution models, based on how they attribute credit to the different interactions. If you select more than one model, each model and their associated credits will be displayed separately in the chart.
- When you're done building your report, click Save in the top right.
Attribute credits from your externally-hosted pages to a specific content type
If your website isn't hosted with HubSpot, and is instead managed externally, you can still create attribution reports for your pages. However, by default, any credits attributed to an externally-hosted page will be bucketed under the Pages without content type content type.
To assign a specific content type to a page, you can request that your developer team add the following code to those pages:
var _hsq = window._hsq = window._hsq || ; _hsq.push(['setContentType', 'CONTENT_TYPE']);
CONTENT_TYPE text in the code with the expression for the content type you want the credits to be attributed to.
- To attribute credits to the Website page content type, use the expressions
- To attribute credits to the Landing page content type, use the expression
- To attribute credits to the Blog post content type, use the expression
- To attribute credits to the Knowledge article content type, use the expression
Please note: when you add the above code to your pages, only new page interactions will be attributed to the specific content type. HubSpot will not retroactively update previous interactions to the new content type, and those interactions will still be attributed to Pages without content type.
Definitions and information on revenue attribution
Different attribution models split revenue credits to interactions differently.
- First interaction: attributes 100% of the deal revenue credits to the contact's first interaction in the conversion path.
- Last interaction: attributes 100% of the deal revenue credits to the contact's last interaction in the conversion path.
- Attributes 22.5% of the deal revenue credits to first interaction, lead creation, deal creation, and last interaction each.
- Attributes the remaining 10% of the deal revenue credits to all other interactions equally (i.e., middle interactions).
- Linear: attributes the deal revenue credits equally to each interaction in the conversion path.
- Attributes 40% of the deal revenue credits to the first interaction and lead conversion interactions each.
- Attributes the remaining 20% of the deal revenue credits to all other interactions equally.
- Attributes 30% of the deal revenue credits to the first interaction, lead conversion interaction, and deal creation interaction each.
- Attributes the remaining 10% of the deal revenue credits to all other interactions equally.
- Time decay:
- Attributes deal revenue credits more heavily to more recent interactions.
- Credits are distributed using a 7-day half-life. This means an interaction 8 days before a conversion gets half as much credit as an ad interaction 1 day before the same conversion.
The models attribute revenue credit to interactions, and will apportion higher credit to key conversion points in the customer journey. The key conversion points are:
- First interaction: the customer's first interaction recorded in HubSpot. This is usually their first visit to your website.
- Lead creation: the customer's last interaction before they were converted to a contact in HubSpot.
- Deal creation: the customer's last interaction before a deal was associated to them.
- Closed-won: the customer's last interaction before the deal associated to them moved to a closed-won stage.
Any interactions that occur between these key conversion points are called middle interactions.
- Website page: website pages in HubSpot.
- Landing page: landing pages in HubSpot.
- Blog post: blog posts in HubSpot.
- Marketing email: marketing emails in HubSpot.
- Meeting: meetings set up or logged in HubSpot that are associated to both the contact record and the relevant associated deal record.
- Knowledge article: articles in your HubSpot knowledge base.
- Misc. HubSpot page: a HubSpot-built page that are not categorized, such as meeting links and subscription pages.
- Pages without content type: any pages that are not categorized above with your HubSpot tracking code installed, including pages you're hosting externally.
- Contact import: importing contacts.
- Call: calls made or logged in HubSpot that are associated to both the contact record and the relevant associated deal record.
- Social post: social posts published through HubSpot.
- Sales email: one-to-one emails sent through, tracked by, or logged in HubSpot that are associated to both the contact record and the relevant associated deal record.
- Ads: ads tracked in HubSpot.
- Conversations: conversations in HubSpot that are associated to both the contact record and the relevant associated deal record.
- Integration: interactions logged on a contact record through an integration (e.g., contact created in Salesforce, Zoom, custom API).
- Other lead creation: contact was created by other means not stated (e.g., manually created in HubSpot, created through the HubSpot Sales extension).
- Media: videos published through HubSpot.
Interactions are bucketed by the session where they occurred (e.g., a page view during a session that started through an AdWords ad will be an interaction bucketed under Paid Search).
Where the interaction doesn't occur during a session, they will be bucketed based on the type of interaction:
- Meeting, Call, Sales email reply, and Conversation interactions are bucketed under Sales. To be taken into account in the report, such sales activities should be associated to the contact record and its relevant associated deal records. For example:
- A contact record is associated to a deal record.
- When a HubSpot user call the contact about the deal and log it to the contact record, the call activity will automatically be associated to the deal record if it is one of the contact record's five most recent open deals. Otherwise, the user should associate the call manually to the deal record.
- Because the call is associated to both the deal and the contact, the report will assume it relates to the deal and can take it into account for revenue attribution.
- If the call is not associated to the deal, it will not be taken into account for the revenue attribution report as it may not relevant to the deal but for other purposes.
- Marketing email click interactions are bucketed under Email marketing.
- Social post click interactions are bucketed under Organic social.
- If a contact was created either manually or through an import, interactions will be bucketed under HubSpot CRM.
In the Interaction types in attribution section of the left sidebar of the report builder, you can view the interaction types included in the report.
Included interaction types will depend on which interaction types are enabled in your settings. Most interaction types are turned on by default, but some types, such as sequence enrollment, will need to be turned on manually.
Learn more about customizing interaction types for attribution reports.
Create reports with the custom report builder
With HubSpot's custom report builder, you can analyze multiple data sources across HubSpot. The difference...Knowledge Base
Create multi-touch contact create attribution reports
Use contact create attribution reports to see which marketing efforts are leading to new contacts. For...Knowledge Base
Analyze your site traffic with the traffic analytics tool
Use HubSpot's traffic analytics tool to view website traffic data. This includes viewing traffic by source,...Knowledge Base