Create and publish social posts
Last updated: June 7, 2022
Use HubSpot's social tool to create a post and publish it to multiple different social accounts at once. You can promote your blog content or landing pages, increase traffic to your website, and reap the SEO benefits of being active on social media.
After publishing, you can review your social posts or analyze the posts' performance in your social reports. You can also boost your Facebook post to reach a wider audience. Learn how to create an ad from a Facebook social post.
- If you've opted into the new social composer beta, learn how to create and publish posts in the full-screen social composer.
- The social network will display the name of the user who connected the social account to HubSpot as the post creator. This is because HubSpot publishes the post to the social network using their credentials.
To create a new social post:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Social.
- In the upper right, click Create social post.
- In the right panel, select the social network to publish your social post to. You can publish social posts to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or LinkedIn. Each social platform has its own character limit:
- Facebook: 2500 characters
- LinkedIn: 3000 characters
- Twitter: 280 characters
Edit post content
- In the text box, enter the content for your social post.
- To add emojis to your post, click the emojic emoji icon.
- To add hashtags to your posts, use the # symbol. Hashtags will not be hyperlinked in the drafted post or the preview, unless you're previewing a Twitter post. The hashtag will be hyperlinked after you publish the post.
- To @mention other accounts, use the @ symbol to mention or tag other accounts.
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn's API only allows mentions or tags for LinkedIn company pages. You cannot mention or tag individual LinkedIn users when creating a social post in HubSpot.
- Facebook: Facebook's API only allows mentions or tags for Facebook pages. You cannot mention or tag individual Facebook users or Facebook events when creating a social post in HubSpot.
- Instagram: mentions will not be auto-completed, but Instagram will acknowledge the mention when the post is live.
- Twitter: only Twitter accounts you follow will appear in the auto-complete dropdown menu. To mention Twitter accounts you don't follow, enter the full Twitter handle. Twitter will acknowledge the mention when the post is live.
- To attach a HubSpot-hosted blog post or landing page to your post:
- Click the attachattach icon.
- Under Content type, select blog post or landing page.
- Select a blog post or landing page to attach to your post.
- Click Attach. This will insert the title and link of your content directly into the social post.
- To share content not hosted on HubSpot, enter the content link directly into the text box.
After adding the content link, a post preview will be generated from the content metadata. This will include a picture, title, meta description, and link.
- Instagram does not support links in posts.
- By default, the HubSpot social tool will shorten links in your social post to a hubs.ly, hubs.li, or hubs.la link. If you own a branded short domain on Bitly, you can connect your Bitly account to HubSpot to use your branded short domain for links in social posts.
- You cannot use custom tracking URLs in social posts published through HubSpot. HubSpot automatically adds tracking parameters to posts published through the social tool to track traffic back to the original post.
After adding content to your post, you can insert an image. The following image formats can be used:
To insert an image:
- In the bottom left of the post editor, click the insertImage ImageFfefeimage icon.
- To select an existing image from your file manager, click the image.
- To upload a new image from your device or a URL, in the bottom left of the panel, click Add image.
- To use a stock image from Shutterstock:
- Click into the search bar and enter a search term, then press the Enter key.
- Click the Stock images tab.
- Click an image to display the image details.
- Click Insert to add the image to your social post.
- If you're posting to Facebook, LinkedIn, or Twitter, you can post up to four images in one social post. To insert another image, click the insertImage image icon.
- To add alt text for an image:
- Hover over the image, then click Add alt text.
- In the dialog box, enter a description for your image.
- Click Save.
- You can only insert one image for an Instagram post. Alt text cannot be added to images on Instagram posts.
- Animated GIFs will play on Twitter and LinkedIn, but will not play on Facebook or Instagram.
If you're posting to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or a LinkedIn Company Page, you can insert a video. Each social network enforces different restrictions on video length. To avoid upload errors, you should select videos that are less than 1 minute in length. The following video formats can be used:
To insert a video:
- In the bottom left of the post editor, click the insertVideo video icon.
- To select an existing video from your file manager, in the right panel, click the video.
- To upload a new video from your device, in the bottom left of the panel, click Upload videos.
- You cannot customize the video thumbnail when creating a post in HubSpot.
- While it is not possible to publish Instagram IGTV videos from HubSpot, analytics such as likes and impressions from externally published videos will still display. These analytics will also reflect in the social reports.
Target countries or languages for a Facebook post
If you're creating a Facebook post, you can target specific countries or languages. If your Facebook page has less than 5,000 likes, your page admin must enable audience selection and post visibility options in your Facebook page settings:
- Log in to your Facebook account and navigate to your page.
- In the upper right, click Settings.
- In the left sidebar menu, click General.
- Depending on when you originally created your page, you'll need to update different settings. If you created your page recently, you'll see a setting labelled News Feed Audience and Visibility for Posts:
- Click Edit.
- Select the Allow News Feed audience selection and post visibility options for this Page checkbox.
- Some older Facebook pages will list a setting labelled Audience Optimization for Posts:
- Click Edit.
- Select the Allow News Feed targeting and the ability to restrict audience for your posts checkbox.
- After updating your setting, click Save Changes.
- To specify the countries or languages to target when creating your social posts:
- In the post editor, click Public audience.
- Under Location, you can enter up to five countries to target.
- Under Language, you can enter up to five languages to target.
- Click Apply.
Preview your post
You can display a preview of your post to confirm that it appears as you'd expect it to once it's published. After editing the content of your post, click the Preview post.
Please note: the post preview should be an accurate representation of how your post will appear. However, there may be some discrepancies once you publish, due to the social network adjusting the presentation of your post.
Publish or schedule your post
A publish time will be automatically selected based on your social publishing schedule. To change the date, click the When dropdown menu:
To update the scheduled publish time, select a specific date and time.
To publish the social post immediately, click Publish now.
To associate the social post with a campaign, click the Campaign dropdown menu and select a campaign or click Create a new campaign.
To publish the same content to another social account or social network, in the Schedule another section, click the corresponding social icon. This will duplicate your existing post content into a new post.
- In the bottom left, click Schedule post, Publish post now, or Save as draft.
Thank you for your feedback, it means a lot to us.
Reauthorize or disconnect social accounts from HubSpot
If your social network account is disconnected from HubSpot, you will need to reauthorize the connection. ...Knowledge Base
Export your content and data
Learn how to export HubSpot content and data from your account, such as pages, contacts, and files. Please...Knowledge Base
Analyze social reports
After you’ve connected your social accounts, you can view and analyze the performance of your social posts...Knowledge Base