If your contact-based workflow was created after August 5, 2019, your workflow uses the new system that company, deal, quote, and ticket-based workflows use. This is part of an overall upgrade to the engine that powers workflows.
Contact-based workflows in HubSpot accounts created after November 5, 2019 are entirely on the new system. Existing accounts will be migrated to the new system over the coming months.
Learn more about this update and how workflows will be migrated to the new system.
New functionalities in upgraded contact-based workflows
The new workflow system offers an expanded workflows experience. Below are the details of what to expect from your contact-based workflows on the new system.
- Editing a delay action has an immediate effect on contacts currently in the delay:
- When a delay is edited to be longer, contacts in the delay are immediately rescheduled and will wait for the new delay duration before moving to the next action. The new delay will take into account the time that contacts have already waited. For example, if a contact has been waiting at a two-day delay for one day, then the delay is extended to three days, the contact will be rescheduled to wait two more days.
- When a delay is edited to be shorter, contacts that have already waited for the full duration of the new delay will exit the delay.
- Deleting a delay action immediately sends all contacts in the delay to the next action.
- Updating the date in a Center on a date or Center on a date property workflow immediately reschedules any contacts waiting in delays.
TestingUsing the Test feature won’t enroll a contact or execute any actions, but will show a simulation in the side panel. You can choose to receive the emails the workflow would deliver as part of the test.
Learn more about testing your contact-based workflows on the new system.
ActionsUsers added to the Rotate Leads action will be assigned the next record that goes through the action, then the rotation will pick back up where it left off. The newly added user will keep their place based on when they were first added.
HistoryThe history page includes an Action column with more detail about each event.
SettingsIn Center on a date or Center on a date property contact workflows, when an action is scheduled for a time outside the action execution time settings, the action will be rescheduled and will execute at the rescheduled time.
Contact timelineWhen a contact is enrolled into a workflow, their enrollment will appear as a workflow-type timeline event. However, results of workflow actions will appear as regular timeline events. For example, if a contact property value is updated, the contact's timeline will show the event, but not as a workflow type event.
LimitsUpgraded contact-based workflows no longer have a limit of 19 if/then branches. However, adding more than 19 if/then branches may result in degraded performance.
A new interface
If your HubSpot account was created after November 5, 2019, or if your workflows have been migrated to the new system, your contact-based workflows will also have a new interface. This interface will be rolling out to existing accounts in the coming months.
Workflows upgraded to the new interface will contain the word platform in the URL. For example: https://app.hubspot.com/workflows/111111/platform/flow/1272228/edit
Additional functionalities for this type of contact-based workflow include:
ActionsThe following new actions are available for your contact-based workflows:
- Go to action
- Slack notifications
- Asana task creation
- Copy contact properties to deal, quote, and tickets
- Set and clear deal, quote, and ticket properties.
SettingsSet up your action execution settings with time ranges for each day of the week in the Settings tab of the workflow editor:
- To execute actions at any time, select Any time.
- To execute actions only at specific times, select Specific times, then select the days and time ranges for each day.
EnrollmentContact-based workflows enroll contacts automatically by default. Contacts can be manually enrolled in your workflows at any time. Learn more about manually enrolling contacts in your workflow.
- Workflow revisions are available in the History tab.
- Each event on the history page is hyperlinked to the specific workflow action that caused the event. This helps to identify which action is related to which event. If the action has been deleted, there will be no link on the event.