In HubSpot, you can set certain contacts as "marketing" and others as "non-marketing" to control the number of billable contacts that adds to your contact tier and who your users can and cannot market to.
Please note: this functionality is currently available on a limited basis for test users in the ANZ region. Reach out to your HubSpot Customer Success Manager for more information.
- Marketing contacts will count towards your contact tier. HubSpot email marketing and ad targeting tools can work with these contacts.
- Non-marketing contacts will not count towards your contact tier. HubSpot email marketing and ad targeting tools will not work with these contacts.
Marketing contact properties
- Non-Marketing set on renewal: indicates if the contact will become a marketing or non-marketing contact upon renewal or contract change.
- When it is Yes, the contact will be set as a non-marketing contact when your HubSpot account is renewed or if there's a change in contract with HubSpot.
- When it is No, the contact will be set as a marketing contact when your HubSpot account is renewed or if there's a change in contract with HubSpot.
- Marketing status: indicates if the contact is currently a marketing or non-marketing contact.
Learn how to check a contact record's property value.
View the number of contacts in your contact tier
In your HubSpot, you pay for your contact tier. Only marketing contacts will count towards your contact tier. Non-marketing contacts will not count towards your contact tier and.
Your billing contact will receive a notification in 24 to 48 hours when the number of marketing contacts:
- reaches 75% of your current tier;
- reaches 90% of your current tier;
- reaches 98% of your current tier; and
- exceeds your current tier.
To check the number of marketing contacts and your current contact tier:
- In your HubSpot account, click your account name in the top right corner, then click Account & Billing.
- Click the Usage & Limits tab.
- View the number of marketing contacts, your current contact tier, and the total number of contacts you have. You can also see a chart of your total contacts and marketing contacts over time.
Once the number of marketing contacts exceeds your current contact tier, you'll automatically be upgraded to the next contact tier and will receive a pro-rated charge at the end of your billing period.
Tools that only work with marketing contacts
The following marketing tools in your HubSpot account will only work with marketing contacts:
- Marketing emails
- Marketing actions in workflows, such as Send email and Add to or Remove from ads audiences.
Learn what happens when you try using the above tools on a non-marketing contact and how you can set a contact as marketing to use the above tools with them.
Please note: other types of emails can still reach your non-marketing contacts, including sales one-to-one emails, chat transcript emails from conversations, registration emails, ticket kickback emails, and customer feedback surveys.
Set contacts as non-marketing
When you don't intend to market to a certain contact, learn how to preemptively set them as non-marketing so they don't count towards your billable contact tier in the next billing cycle.
Set contacts as marketing
You may decide to market to a contact that was previously set as non-marketing. Learn how to set them as marketing so you can use HubSpot marketing tools with them. Once a contact is deemed as a marketing contact, they cannot be set as non-marketing within the same period.