An A/B test allows you to create a variation of an existing page, and test this change in the page's layout or content. The same page URL will load a random variation and after some time, you can compare the engagement on both versions.
Set up A/B test
- Create a new page. This is the control version of your page, and most of the elements will be repeated on your variation. If you've already created a page, move on to the next step.
- In your landing pages or website pages dashboard, hover over the page and click the More dropdown menu, then select Run a test.
- In the dialog box, select A/B Test and click Next.
- Enter a name for the variation, then click Create variation. You'll load a clone of your original page.
- Edit the page to create a new variation. Consider the following variables for testing:
- Offers: experiment with the medium of the offer. You might test an ebook versus a whitepaper or video.
- Copy: experiment with the formatting and style of the content. You could test plain paragraphs versus bullet points or a longer block of text vs a shorter block of text.
- Image: experiment with images to see how the conversion rate is influenced.
- Form fields: experiment with the length of the form. Should your form only request an email address or should it ask for more information?
- To edit the other variation of the page, click the dropdown menu on the upper left in the page editor and select the variation to edit.
- Once you're done with your variation, take your variations live by clicking Publish in the upper right.
Review A/B test results
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Website > Landing Pages.
- Click the name of the page with the A/B test.
- Click the Test results tab.
- Click the Date range and Frequency dropdown menus and select the timeframe of the results that you want to analyze.
- Click the column headers in the table to sort the results by a specific metric.
- To choose a variation as the winner of the test and stop displaying the other variation, hover over the variation and click Choose as winner.
- After some time has passed, you can rerun an A/B test on a losing variant. Hover over the variation and click Rerun this variation.
Please note: if you rerun a variation from an A/B test, the variation will be published immediately.