With A/B testing, you can test two versions of a page at the same URL to see which one performs better with your visitors. When anyone visits your page's URL, half of them will see one version of your page and the other half with see the test variation. You'll see each version of your page performs by comparing engagements in your website analytics such as conversion rate, bounce rate, and click rate.
Marketing Hub Professional and Enterprise accounts can conduct A/B testing on a landing page. CMS Hub Professional and Enterprise accounts can run an A/B test on landing pages and website pages.
Before you get started
- Create a new page to serve as the control version of your A/B test.
- Decide what you want to test. It's recommended to test one variation only so you'll know exactly what change led to more engagement.
- Get advice about how to run an A/B test on your page from the HubSpot Marketing Blog.
Set up an A/B test
You can run an A/B test on any published page. If your page is part of a multi-language group, you can run a test for each language variation.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Website > Landing Pages or Website Pages.
- Hover over your page and click the Actions dropdown menu, then select Run a test.
- In the dialog box, select A/B Test, then click Next.
- Enter a name for your new page variation, then click Create variation. This will bring you to the page editor for you B variation, which is a clone of your original page.
- Update the page content for your page variation. Consider the following types of variables for testing:
- Offers: experiment with a different type of content offer. You might test an ebook versus a consultation or a video.
- Copy: experiment with the formatting and style of the content. You could test plain paragraphs versus bullet points or a longer block of text vs a shorter block of text.
- Image: experiment with a different image to see how the conversion rate is influenced.
- Form fields: experiment with the length of your form. Should your form only request an email address or should it ask for more information?
- After you're done making edits to your page variation, publish your test variation by clicking Publish in the upper right.
Review A/B test results
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Website > Landing Pages.
- Click the name of the page with the A/B test.
- Click the Test results tab.
- Click the Date range and Frequency dropdown menus and select the timeframe of the results that you want to analyze.
- Click the column headers in the table to sort the results by a specific metric.
- To choose a variation as the winner of the test and stop displaying the other variation, hover over the variation and click Choose as winner.
- After some time has passed, you can rerun an A/B test on a losing variant. Hover over the variation and click Rerun this variation.
Please note: if you rerun a variation from an A/B test, the variation will be published immediately.