How do I know which add-in to install?
Before installing one of the add-ins, review the matrix below to make sure you're selecting the right add-in. Click one of the add-ins for installation information. Alternatively, click Chrome extension if that's a better fit for your setup instead of one of the add-ins.
Email provider and browser requirements
|Chrome extension||Office 365 add-in||Outlook desktop add-in|
|Email host||Gmail or G Suite||Office 365||Any|
|Preferred email client||Gmail/G Suite in Chrome||
Outlook on the web
Outlook for Mac
|Operating system||Mac, PC||Mac, PC||PC only|
|Requires connected inbox||No*||Yes||No*|
*Some sales tools cannot be used unless you have a connected inbox.
Key differences between the Outlook desktop add-in and Office 365 add-in
Besides the email environment and operating system requirements in the matrix above, the main differences between the Outlook desktop add-in and Office 365 add-in are the contact profiles sidebar menu and the need for a connected inbox.
- The desktop add-in does not require a connected inbox (although using some of the sales tools in Outlook does require a connected inbox), and the contact profiles sidebar is persistant, meaning it will always be open.
- The Office 365 add-in does require a connected inbox. Additionally, the contact profiles sidebar is not persistant; it needs to be opened manually.
If you prefer a persistant sidebar menu and wish to use the add-in without a connected inbox (and your email environment meets the requirements in the matrix above), then the Outlook desktop add-in is the best choice for you. On the other hand, if you don't use a PC or if your email environment is more aligned with the Office 365 add-in requirements above, then the Office 365 add-in is the best choice for you.
The HubSpot Sales add-ins vs. a connected inbox
Please note that while the Office 365 add-in requires a connected inbox and both add-ins provide more access to sales tools when your inbox is connected, the add-ins are separate from a connected inbox:
- HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in: The HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in is installed on your PC and lives in your Outlook account in the main ribbon towards the upper-right. This add-in is for Outlook desktop versions 2016, 2013, and 2010. Additionally, you can install HubSpot Sales for Windows, a tray app that stores your activity feed on your PC in your main tray. You can send tracked and logged emails from Outlook using the add-in and use contact profiles and insert templates and documents in emails using the add-in alone (without a connected inbox).
- HubSpot Sales Office 365 add-in: The HubSpot Sales Office 365 add-in requires a connected inbox to work in your email client. It's cloud-based (not downloaded, like the Outlook desktop add-in) and is available for Outlook desktop versions 2016 and 2013, Outlook for Mac, Outlook on the web, and Outlook.com. You can send tracked and logged emails from your inbox with the add-in as well as access sales tools.
- Connected inbox: When you connect your inbox to HubSpot, you're connecting your email host (Office 365, Google Apps, etc.) to HubSpot. With a connected inbox, you can send emails from HubSpot to contacts using your own servers, log incoming email replies, send email replies from contact timelines in HubSpot, and more.
Functionalities of the add-insYou'll have access to the following features with either of the add-ins:
- Track emails: when sending an email from your Outlook account, you can track that email. When you track an email, you will receive real-time pop-up notifications each time your recipient opens the email. The open information will also be stored in your HubSpot account's activity feed under Sales Tools > Activity Feed and in your Windows tray app if you're using the HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in.
- Log emails: when sending an email from your Outlook account, you can log that email. When you log an email, a copy of that email is recorded on the recipient's contact timeline in HubSpot. With a connected inbox, you can also log replies and reply to emails from the contact timeline in HubSpot.
- Use contact profiles: search your HubSpot database, edit contact properties, and initiate calls with your contacts using contact profiles in Outlook, a sidebar menu that stores information from your HubSpot account. You'll learn more about contact profiles in a later section of this guide.
- Use the HubSpot sales tools: send templates and documents, enroll contacts in sequences, and insert meetings links right from your inbox. Snippets are available in Outlook on PC using the Outlook desktop add-in. Please note that some of these tools require a connected inbox in addition to the add-in.
How to install the add-ins
How to install the Outlook desktop add-in
Outlook desktop versions 2016, 2013, and 2010 on Windows 10, 8, and 7 support the HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in. There are two parts to the installation process: installing the add-in and then installing the Windows tray app, HubSpot Sales for Windows, which is optional.
Before installing the add-in, make sure you meet the system requirements:
|Computer and processor||1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86-bit or x64-bit processor with SSE2 instruction set|
|Memory||4 GB RAM|
|Hard disk||3 GB available disk space|
|Display||1024 x 768 screen resolution|
|Operating system|| Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 Service Pack 1
For the best experience, use the latest version of any operating system.
For external links: current version of Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Safari, Chrome, or Firefox
|.NET version||.NET 4.5 CLR|
|Outlook version||Latest stable version of Outlook 2010, 2013, or 2016|
|Outlook account types||IMAP, POP, Exchange (and O365)*, Google Apps Sync|
|Network||Requires internet access for all HubSpot features.|
* For the best experience with Exchange, Exchange Cached Mode is recommended
Install the add-in
First, download the HubSpot Sales for Outlook installer here.
Please note: the HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in does not support Outlook for Mac. If you use Outlook for Mac, an Outlook on the web account, or an Outlook.com account, install the HubSpot Sales Office 365 add-in instead. Additionally, HubSpot Sales is not supported in terminal server environments.
- Run the HubSpot Sales for Outlook installer (setup.exe). If you come across any errors when installing the extension, refer to this installation troubleshooting guide for more information.
- Restart Outlook.
- After the add-in is installed, you will be asked to log in with your HubSpot Sales account credentials.
- HubSpot Sales should appear in the main ribbon.
Install the Windows tray app, HubSpot Sales for Windows
The HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in has an additional component called HubSpot Sales for Windows that allows you to receive instant notifications without the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension. With this tray app, you don't need to run Google Chrome.
Once you've installed the HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in, you'll be prompted to download HubSpot Sales for Windows. Click Download now in the dialog box to install HubSpot Sales for Windows. Alternatively, you can download the component directly here. When HubSpot Sales for Windows is installed, you'll be able to view your activity feed by clicking the HubSpot sprocket icon in your Windows tray.
How to install the Office 365 add-in
- Install the add-in from Microsoft AppSource.
- Centrally deploy the add-in to all your Office 365 users.
Install the add-in from Microsoft AppSource
The HubSpot Sales Office 365 add-in can be installed directly from Microsoft AppSource here:
Please note: the HubSpot Sales Office 365 add-in requires an Office 365 account (Office 365 Business Premium or Office 365 Business Essentials). If you do not have an Office 365 account but use Outlook for Desktop on Windows, install the HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in instead.
- Click Get It Now in the left sidebar.
- Click Continue in the dialog box that appears.
- You will be taken to your Office 365 account. Click Add.
- Once the installation is complete, you will be redirected to a page indicating the add-in has been successfully installed.
Office 365 admins can centrally deploy the add-in to all users. When the add-in is centrally deployed, every Office 365 user at the domain will automatically get the add-in, with no additional effort by each user:
- Logged in as an Office 365 administrator, navigate to your Office admin account here.
- Click Upload Add-In at the top of your screen and then click Next.
- Select I want to add an Add-In from the Office Store. Search for HubSpot Sales to add it for all users.
Install the add-ins from HubSpot
- In your HubSpot account, click your photo or avatar in the top right-hand corner, then click Settings.
- On the left, select Integrations > Email Integrations.
- Click the HubSpot Extensions tab.
- Click Download beside HubSpot Sales Add-In for Office 365 or HubSpot Sales Add-In for Outlook (Windows/PC). Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
How the add-ins look in different email clients
- Outlook desktop add-in:
- Office 365 add-in on a PC in Outlook desktop:
- Office 365 add-in on a Mac in Outlook desktop:
- Office 365 add-in on the web using an Outlook on the web account (outlook.office.com) or an Outlook.com account (outlook.live.com):
If you've encountered an issue when installing or operating the desktop add-in, click the corresponding link below for troubleshooting steps:
- 'An error occurred attempting to install HubSpot Sales in Outlook'
- 'Microsoft Office solution cannot be installed due to a general installer error'
- 'Customized functionality in this application will not work...'
- 'Value does not fall within the expected range'
- 'Unable to install this application because an application with the same identity is already installed'
- 'Application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor.'
- 'Process cannot access file because it is being used by another process'
- What can I do if Outlook is crashing with HubSpot Sales installed?
- What should I do if I no longer see HubSpot in my Outlook inbox?
- HubSpot Sales & Outlook Error: "The value of the property 'type' cannot be parsed"
To install the Office 365 add-in, you must
- use a supported version of Outlook.
- have access to the Microsoft store.
- have the necessary permissions from your email administrators to use third party add-ins in your inbox.
- add the add-in in each inbox if you're using multiple inboxes.
- connect your inbox.