Campaigns | Frequently Asked Questions
Last updated: May 28, 2021
- Where do I access campaigns and campaign analytics?
- Can I edit the name of a campaign?
- What’s the difference between a campaign and a utm_campaign?
- What's the difference between a HubSpot campaign and Salesforce campaign?
Assets and content
- Can I associate assets or content with more than one campaign?
- Why isn't my associated asset or content appearing in the campaign?
Data and metrics
- What data is included in campaigns or campaign analytics?
- Why are tracking URL visits not appearing in campaigns?
- How is influenced revenue calculated?
- What is an influenced contact?
- Why is a deal not associated with a campaign?
- What’s the difference between first touch and last touch?
How do I analyze campaigns?
If you want to work on a specific campaign and measure how well a specific campaign is doing, check out how to analyze your campaign.
If you want to analyze how well your campaigns are doing on an aggregated level, check out how to analyze campaign performance with the analytics tool.
Can I edit the name of a campaign?
Yes. To rename a campaign:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Campaigns.
- Click on the campaign you want to rename.
- In the upper right, click the Actions dropdown menu, then click Edit.
- Click the campaign name to edit it.
- Once you've updated the campaign's name, click Save.
Once you rename the campaign, HubSpot will create and add a new utm_campaign value for all future tracking URLs associated with your campaign. The old utm_campaign value will still be connected to your campaign to ensure the continuity of your historical data.
What’s the difference between a campaign and a utm_campaign?
HubSpot campaigns are used to tag related marketing assets and content in HubSpot so you can easily measure the effectiveness of your collective marketing efforts.
utm_campaign tags are used to track traffic to your website. HubSpot campaigns may include traffic that is tagged with utm_campaign parameters, but not all utm_campaign parameters are necessarily related to a HubSpot campaign.
What's the difference between a HubSpot campaign and Salesforce campaign?
Although both HubSpot and Salesforce have campaigns, these two objects do not correspond to each other.
HubSpot campaigns are a group of related marketing assets and content, under a certain marketing campaign. Associating marketing assets and content in HubSpot to a campaign allows you to measure the effectiveness of your collective marketing efforts. HubSpot campaigns cannot sync to Salesforce.
Salesforce campaigns manage outbound marketing campaigns with various marketing collateral. Salesforce campaigns can sync limited data to HubSpot:
- If a Salesforce lead or contact is associated with a Salesforce campaign, the Salesforce Campaign ID field will sync to their HubSpot contact record. This property can also be used to segment contacts in HubSpot.
- Contacts can be added to a Salesforce campaign from a HubSpot form or workflow.
Can I associate assets or content with more than one campaign?
Each individual blog post, call-to-action, email, landing page, website page, social post, paid search campaign, and tracking URL can only be associated with one campaign in HubSpot.
Adding assets or content that are already associated with another campaign to a new campaign will remove them from their current campaigns. Only individual workflows can be associated with multiple campaigns.
Why isn't my associated asset or content appearing in the campaign?If your asset or content is not appearing in a campaign as expected, first confirm that the content is associated with the correct campaign and check the campaign's start and end dates to verify that the content was published within the time range.
There are two reasons why your associated asset or piece of content isn't appearing within its campaign in the campaigns tool or campaign analytics:
- Social posts will not appear until they are published.
- Paid search campaigns and tracking URLs will not appear until they receive at least one visit.
What data is included in campaigns or campaign analytics?
A campaign gathers data when it is created, after association to marketing assets and content. Data is not retroactively pulled into campaigns. Other considerations include:
- The campaign must have been created after September 1, 2017 for it to be included in the campaign analytics tool.
- Data is only gathered after the campaign was created, and after the asset or content was associated with the campaign. Any data prior to the creation of the campaign and the association will not be taken into account in the campaigns tool or the campaign analytics tool. For example, if you associate a marketing asset to a campaign after it was released, the data prior to association will not be present in the campaign's analytics.
Why are tracking URL visits not appearing in campaigns or campaign analytics?
A tracking URL will not appear in the campaign details page or campaign analytics unless it has at least one visit after the campaign was created.
For example, if a tracking URL is visited on June 10, 2018, but the campaign was created on June 12, 2018, the tracking URL will not appear in the campaign details page or in campaign analytics.
What is an influenced contact?
An influenced contact has engaged with one or more assets or pieces of content in a given HubSpot campaign (e.g., visited a tagged page, opened a tagged email).
How is influenced revenue calculated?
Influenced revenue is the sum of the amounts of all Closed won deals that are associated with influenced contacts.
Why is a deal not associated with a campaign?
A deal is only indicated as influenced by a campaign if that deal is associated to a contact that has been influenced by an asset or piece of content in the campaign. The deal needs to have been associated with the influenced contact before the deal is closed.
What’s the difference between first touch and last touch?
First touch contacts are attributed to the campaign that brought them to your website for the first time. These contacts will be counted under New Contacts (First touch) when:
- the first page they visit has a URL containing utm_campaign parameters;
- the first page they visit is associated with the campaign; or
- the first page they visit is through a referral keyword associated with the campaign.
Last touch contacts are attributed to the campaign that led to their conversion. These contacts will be counted under the New Contacts (Last touch) when:
- they convert on a page where the URL contains utm_campaign parameters; or
- they visit a page or submit a form that's associated with the campaign before converting, during the same session.
The campaigns tool in HubSpot allows you to tag related marketing assets and content, so you can easily...Knowledge Base
Manage campaign assets
After you've associated your assets and content with a campaign, you can use the campaign assets page to get...Knowledge Base
Add comments to your HubSpot assets
You can add comments to your HubSpot content such as campaigns, forms, ad drafts, emails, website pages,...Knowledge Base