Please follow the directions noted below to get a direct link from a file hosted on HubSpot's COS File Manager.
- Navigate to Content > Content Settings > File Manager under the Content Optimization System Tools section.
- Locate the file you'd like to share with others > Click the Gear icon on the right-hand side of the highlighted file > Select Get file URL to see the file's current path.
- You can either use the link as is or specify a specific domain path via the domain drop down box in that interface (to get a more "SEO friendly" file location). Once you've configured the domain options, you can simply copy the URL for use in your content.
A few notes on file downloads and PDF docs in general:
- Most modern browsers will open links to PDF files inside the browser itself for the visitor to view, as opposed to downloading the actual file to the visitors computer
- In turn, whether or not a download is prompted is largely dependent on the browser in use and its settings
- At present there is no way to force a download without using server side script, which is not supported by the HubSpot content systems
- The visitor can always download the pdf from the subsequent window that opens, but you may want to provide a prompt above your link such as "Right click and select Save as to download" for example
- Additionally, you could consider packaging your PDF or document file in a .zip file which will usually force the visitor to download it