Tracking URLs allow you to determine the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns. You should use tracking URLs when you're directing traffic to a landing page from somewhere other than a call-to-action on your own site, like an email blast, PPC campaign, banner ad, and so forth. A tracking URL is a normal URL with a "token" attached to the end of it. When visitors to your website come from a tracking URL, HubSpot's Sources Report sees the token and separates that traffic out so you can see how well it performed.
If you're using or are planning to use HubSpot tracking URLs in Google AdWords ads, please be sure to use the Full Tracking URL, and not the Shortened Tracking URL. Due to recent changes in AdWords ads, users will now need to use Upgraded URLs. Also, it is imperative that you insert your HubSpot Full Tracking URL into the Final destination field in AdWords ads, not the Destination field. In addition to this, the Final destination field will need to contain the same domain as the landing page URL. For example, if your ad's landing page is http://offers.yoursite.com/demo your Final destination field will need to contain yoursite.com.
To create a tracking URL:
- Navigate to Reports > Reports Home > Tracking URL Builder.
- Click the button to Create a New Tracking URL.
- Enter the URL for your landing page or website page.
- Under Campaign Name select one of your existing HubSpot Campaigns or create a new Campaign to tag the Tracking URL with.
- Select a desired Source - For further insight as to how HubSpot categorize Visits, Contacts, and Customers in the Sources Report please click here.
- If you wish to further customize your Tracking URL, click on Switch to advanced view located on the bottom right of the Tracking URL builder.
- To finish, click Generate - Your tracking URL (shortened or full tracking link) is now ready to be used in your campaign.
For advanced use in Google AdWords, you can access the automatically generated AdWords Final URL and AdWords Tracking Template by clicking on the gear icon to the right of the tracking URL and clicking on Show AdWords final URL.
Sample tracking URLs:
- Paid Search (pay-per-click ads, banner ads, Google Adwords campaigns)
- Social Media (posts to a social media site)
- Email Marketing (emails sent outside of HubSpot)
- Other Campaigns (webinars, videos, QR code visits, special offers)
Paid Search (pay-per-click ads, banner ads, Google Adwords campaigns)
1. Source = 'Paid Search'
Social Media (posts to a social media site)
1. Source = a social media site (ex. 'facebook' or 'twitter' or 'linkedin')
Email Marketing (emails sent outside of HubSpot)
1. Source = 'Email Marketing'.
2. Enter the name of your email (optional).
Other Campaigns(webinars, videos, QR code visits, special offers)
1. Source = 'Other Campaigns'.
2. Medium = any value (does not contain the words 'email, 'ppc', 'cpc', or 'adword').