With smart CTAs, you can display a customized button to your different visitors based on data stored on their HubSpot contact record, or based on information known about their device type, country, referral source, or preferred language.
You can base your smart rules on the following criteria types:
- Country - display content to your viewer based on their country. The country is determined by the IP address of the visitor.
- Device type - specify which device this smart content is centered around (mobile, tablet, or desktop). HubSpot looks at what is called the user agent of your visitor’s browser to determine their device type. Since this can sometimes be changed on the device, we cannot always guarantee accurate segmentation.
- Referral source - show visitors your smart content based on how they found your site.
- Preferred language - personalize your content based on the language set within the user's web browser.
- Contact list membership - show a contact in your HubSpot database certain content dependent on whether or not they're a member of one of your HubSpot lists.
- Lifecycle stage - this will look at the lifecycle stage property of a contact in your HubSpot database and display the relevant content based on the value of this field.
Follow the steps below to create a smart CTA that you can use on your HubSpot pages or on your external website pages.
- In your HubSpot Marketing Hub Basic,Professional, or Enterprise account, navigate to Marketing > Lead Capture > CTAs.
- Hover over the CTA you would like to edit and click Actions > Create smart version. This CTA will be the default content that a visitor sees if they do not meet any of your smart rule criteria.
- In the pane that opens on the right, select the radio button next to the criteria you want to base your smart rules on.
- Click the dropdown menu to configure your smart CTA rules. For example, if you select Contact's lifecycle stage as your rule type, select the lifecycle stages you would like to target in the dropdown menu.
- Click Next.
- Customize the CTA.
- Click Next.
- On the next screen, enter a CTA name. Click the URL redirect type dropdown menu and select a URL type. Depending on which redirect type you select, enter the external website URL, upload a file, or select the HubSpot page or meeting link from the dropdown menu.
- Click Save.
- Review your completed smart CTAs. Click Add another smart version to add a new smart CTA. Click Reorder rules to reorder your rules. When you're done, click Finish.
Over time, you can analyze your smart CTAs performance and make any adjustments to ensure you are successfully tailoring content to your different website visitors. If you are a Marketing Hub Enterprise user, you can also A/B test your smart CTAs to determine which one is performing the best.