In the SEO tool, a topic is a grouping of your content related to a specific topic. Your content can come from your HubSpot content (blog posts, landing pages, and website pages) and your externally hosted content.
A topic includes a pillar page on your main website and and subtopic keyword content that links visitors back to this page. Linking supporting content back to your pillar page to establish authority for your topic in search engine results.
In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Planning and Strategy > SEO.
In the upper right, click Create a topic.
Enter a topic in the text field, then click Add.
- After researching the data for your topic, select a topic. Then in the bottom left, click Create Topic.
- To attach a pillar page to this topic, click Attach content.
- In the right panel:
- Click Create a post to create a new piece of content.
- Click Add external URL to link to an external resource.
- Use the Select pillar page search bar to search for and add a HubSpot blog post, landing page or website page.
- The Suggested Content section will automatically display any existing content that is most related to your topic.
- Select your pillar page, then click Save.
After you've attached a pillar page to your topic, you'll add more supporting content based on subtopic keywords.
Please note: subtopic content should include a link back to the topic's pillar page to establish your website's authority for your subtopic keywords in search engine results.
- In the upper right, click Add subtopic keyword.
- In the slide in panel, enter a subtopic keyword, then click Research Subtopic Keyword. You'll see metrics for the average monthly searches for the subtopic keyword, along with a listing of similar subtopic keywords.
- Select your subtopic keyword, then click Save.
- Next, you'll be prompted to attach content to this subtopic keyword.
- Click a piece of suggested content to attach it to your subtopic keyword. To attach another page, blog post, or URL:
- Use the Subtopic content search bar to select an existing HubSpot blog post, landing page, or website page.
- To create a new piece of content, click Create a post.
- Use the Content type dropdown menu to select the content type: blog post, landing page, or website page.
- Enter a title for your new page or post, then click Create to attach your new draft content.
- To attach an external page to your subtopic keyword, click Add external URL.
- After you've attached your support content, click Save.
Please note: each piece of content can only be attached to one topic or subtopic keyword in the content strategy tool.
To edit your attached subtopic content:
- Click a subtopic keyword in the SEO tool.
- In the upper right corner of your Subtopic content, click Remove Attached Content.
- Select a new piece of content to attach.
- In the upper right, click the X.
To delete a subtopic keyword:
- Click a subtopic keyword to open the panel.
- In the lower right, click Delete.