In the content strategy tool, a topic is an overall grouping of a topic (pillar page), subtopics, and subtopic content that links back to the pillar page to establish authority for a specific topic. Learn how to create a new topic and attach your subtopic content.
Please note: you can create new topics automatically based on your existing HubSpot pages and blog posts using the content auditing feature.
- In your HubSpot Marketing Hub Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account, navigate to Marketing > Planning and Strategy > Content Strategy.
- In the upper right, click Create a topic.
- Enter topic a topic, then click Add. You'll see metrics for how you would rank for this topic in Monthly Search Volume and Difficulty. You can also review and compare Recommended Topics. here.
Please note: You can use the Country dropdown menu to see how your topics will rank for these metrics in a specific location.
- To start adding content to your topic cluster, click the radio button next to the topic name, then click Create Topic.
Add a pillar page
- Once you've created your topic, click Add pillar page to attach a pillar page. A pillar page should be the authoritative source that all of your subtopic content links back to.
- Under Select pillar page, click Create a landing page to create a new landing page, Add external URL to link to an external resource, or use the Search for content search bar to search for and select an existing landing page.
- The Most Relevant Content section will automatically display content that is most related to your topic for you to choose from.
- When you're done, click Save at the bottom.
Add subtopics and subtopic content
- Click Add subtopic to add a subtopic to the topic. Once you enter a subtopic phrase, metrics for the average monthly searches for the subtopic and topic similarity will automatically be generated.
- Alternatively, you can select a subtopic in the Suggested subtopics section by clicking the radio button next to a suggested subtopic.
- To hide suggested subtopics and improve future suggestions, hover over a suggested subtopic and click the Hide dropdown menu. Select the radio button next to the feedback you'd like to submit, then click Hide suggestion.
- Click Save at the bottom to add the subtopic.
- Lastly, add subtopic content to your subtopic. Subtopic content is shorter in length than pillar content and helps build authority around your topic by linking back to the topic's pillar page.
Please note: each piece of subtopic content can only be attached to one topic or subtopic in the content strategy tool.
- Under Select subtopic content, click Create a post to create a new blog post, Add external URL to link to an external resource, or use the Search for content search bar to search for and add a HubSpot blog post, landing page, or website page. The Most Relevant Content section will automatically display content that is most related to your subtopic for you to choose from.
- After selecting your content, click Save.
Update the country for your topic cluster
If you want to see topic validation data for another location, click the Country dropdown menu in the top-left to select the country. This will update the data to reflect SEO trends for the selected country instead of the default location settings in your account.