A/B testing allows you to test two versions of a page at the same URL to see which one performs better. Half of your visitors will see one version of the page, while the other half will see the alternate version.
You can compare each version's performance in the page's performance data, then select a winning variation. This will set the winning variation as the only live version of the page and revert the other variation to draft.
Marketing Hub Professional and Enterprise accounts can conduct A/B testing on landing pages. CMS Hub Professional and Enterprise accounts can conduct A/B testing on landing pages and website pages.
Before you get started
- Learn more about how to run an A/B test from the HubSpot Marketing Blog.
- Decide what you want to test. HubSpot recommends testing one variable at a time to track clear cause and effect.
- Create a new page or choose an existing page to serve as the control version of your A/B test.
Set up an A/B test
You can run an A/B test on any published page. If your page is part of a multi-language group, you can run a test for each language variation.
- Hover over your page and click the More dropdown menu, then select Run a test.
- In the dialog box, select A/B test, then click Next.
- Enter a name for each page variation, then click Create variation. This will bring you to the page editor for your B variation, which is a clone of your original page.
- Update the content for your page variation. Consider testing the following variables:
- Offers: experiment with a different type of content offer. You could test an ebook versus a consultation or a video.
- Copy: experiment with the formatting and style of the content. You could test plain paragraphs versus bullet points or a longer block of text vs a shorter block of text.
- Image: experiment with a different image to see how the conversion rate is influenced.
- Form fields: experiment with the length of your form. You could test requesting only an email address versus asking for more information.
Please note: both versions of the page will have the same live URL, but different preview URLs for testing
- To edit the original version of your page within the page editor, click the test Test variation dropdown menu in the upper left and select the other page.
- To begin the test, click Publish in the upper right. This will set both versions of your page live.
Within the same session, visitors will be shown the same version of A/B tested content. Once a session ends, the version of content they are shown will be randomized for the next session.
Review A/B test results
After your visitors have started engaging with both page variations, you can review the test results.
- Click a column header in the table to sort the results by a specific metric.
- To choose a variation as the winner of the test, hover over the variation and click Choose as winner. The losing variation will no longer display.
- If you want to rerun an A/B test on a losing variant, hover over the variation and click Rerun this variation.
Please note: if you rerun a variation from an A/B test, the variation will be published immediately.
Delete a variation
In your A/B tested page, only the B variation can be deleted without deleting the page.
- Once the B variation has been deleted, the page editor will refresh to show the main variation.