There are two ways to create contacts directly from your conversations inbox:
- Create a contact manually: ask for a visitor's contact information while chatting, and create the contact manually right from your inbox.
- Email capture setting: after initiating a conversation, the visitor will be prompted to enter an email address so that you can follow up via email if they close out of the chat widget before you can reply.
Create a contact manually
While chatting with a visitor, you can ask for their contact information. Then proceed to create them as a contact:
- In your conversations inbox, click Associate visitor in the pane on the right.
- In the dialog box, type your visitor's email address. If a contact is found in your database with a matching email address, you can click Yes, associate to associate your visitor with the existing contact. If the visitor doesn't exist, proceed to type in their first and last name and then click Create contact.
Contacts created via the 'Email capture' setting
With the Email capture setting, visitors will be asked if they'd like to enter their email address while waiting for a reply from you. You can customize this prompt message:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Conversations > Inbox.
- In the bottom-left corner, click Inbox Settings, then select Chat.
- In your targeted messages settings, hover over the chat widget you want to customize the email capture message for and click Edit.
- Click Message on the left.
- Under Email capture, click the Ask visitors for their email address dropdown menu and select one of the following to determine when visitors will prompted for their email:
- Immediately after first message is sent
- If no team member responds after 1 minute
- Do not ask for email address
- Type your message in the Email capture message field and then click Save when you're done.
- With this setting, a visitor will see a prompt to enter their email address either right after the chat is sent or after a minute with no response. If they enter their email address and click the checkmark icon, they'll be created as a contact.
Please note: if the chat launcher is set to display an away message, a default email capture message will display instead of the custom message you configured in the Email capture message field in your message settings.
Can a contact be created automatically via live chat?
Visitors cannot be added to your HubSpot contacts database automatically simply by starting a chat. They're still associated with an anonymous tracking cookie until you receive either an email address from them or manually add them as a contact.
If the visitor leaves your site before they're added as a contact, they will still have a unique cookie associated with their browser. Therefore, if you have a history of chatting with a visitor and they return to your site later in the same cookied browser, the chat tool will load your conversation history with that visitor.
Please keep in mind, however, if the same visitor returns to your site after deleting their browser cookies or returns to your site on a different device, then the cookie won't be the same, and the conversation history will not be loaded.