HubSpot addresses duplicate content using canonical URLs. A canonical URL is an HTML element used by search engines to handle duplicate content. For example, you may have similar content on two different pages of your website. Google will recognize the similarity of these pages as it crawls them, resulting in a possible SEO hit. A canonical URL tells search engines which piece of content is the preferred version and prevents your site from being penalized for duplicate content.
You can set the canonical URL for a blog post, landing page, and website page in your HubSpot Marketing Hub Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account.
Automatically add self-referencing canonical URLs for all blog posts, landing pages, and website pages (recommended)
It is recommended that you add self-referencing canonical URLs to individual pages and posts so that search engines recognize this URL as the authoritative version.
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon settings in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Website > Pages.
- Click the SEO & Crawlers tab.
- Select the Add self-referencing canonical URLs to all pages and blog posts (Recommended) radio button.
Please note: there is a separate setting for blog listing pages. HubSpot recommends that you don't add canonical URLs to blog listing pages in most cases. Unless your blog has a View all page, these listing pages are best without canonical URLs added. Search engines like Google can still return relevant content to your visitors, even when using a paginated listing page.
It is also not necessary to add a canonical URL to your listing pages because the second page of your listing page is not a duplicate of the first page because there are different RSS items on each page. Additionally, adding rel=”canonical” prevents search engines from finding subsequent paginated pages and impacts a page's relationship to your overall site architecture. This can influence a search engine's understanding of your site and make the page difficult for search engines to find.
Add or edit a canonical URL for an individual blog post, landing page, or website page
- In your HubSpot Marketing Hub Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account, navigate to website pages, landing pages, or blog posts.
- Hover over an existing page or post and click Edit.
- In the editor, click Settings.
- Click Advanced Options. Enter a custom canonical URL in the Customize canonical URL field. Click Publish to take your changes live.
Please note: canonical URLs set for specific blog posts, landing pages, and website pages using this setting will overwrite the automatically add self-referencing canonical URLs setting noted above.