When creating a custom report, you can use the Date part and Compare by filters to compare multiple time range types side-by-side. For example, you can compare this year to last year to determine during what months you closed the most deals. Or, you can identify what days of the week your customers are more likely to engage with your emails.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Reports > Reports.
- In the upper right, click Create custom report.
- In the left sidebar menu, click Custom Report Builder.
- In the left panel, use the search bar or click the Browse dropdown menu and select the data source with the field you want to add.
- Click and drag fields from the left sidebar into the channel slots in the Configure tab.
To compare multiple date ranges in a custom report, you can use Date part or the Compare by channel:
Please note: it is only possible to report on either Date part or Frequency, they cannot be used together.
Use Date part to compare date ranges by breaking down a date-based field into a specific date part in your report. For example, if you wanted to find out what quarter year-over-year you close the most amount of deals, you can set Date part to Quarter. Or if you wanted to show the year and quarter, set the Frequency to Quarter.
When you select Frequency it will organize your report by the timeframe you select, such as, weekly, monthly, or quarterly, on a continuing series. Whereas, Date part will reorganize your data into a condensed view by parts of the date, such as day of the month, day of the week, or day of the year.
- For your date-based field in the X-axis or Break down by channel, click to edit to these options:
- Date part: a breakdown of the parts of each date frequency.
- Frequency: a fixed time interval over a continuous series of data.
For example, if you were measuring closed deals by Quarter in your company, you can visualize them using Date part or Frequency to display the same data in two different ways.
Use the Compare by channel to compare data across a specific time range.
- Click and drag a date field into in the Compare by channel.
- Click the date-based field, then use the dropdown menus to select the filter period and the time range to break the data down by.
- If the Filter period dropdown does not have a preset that fits your reporting needs, you can select Custom. This will allow you to to select the date part you want to compare by i.e. day, week, month, quarter, year, and set the number of periods you would like to include. Also, there is an option to determine whether these periods are in a next or last timeframe.
- Click Apply.
When using the Compare by channel:
- When a field is added to the Compare by section, the X-axis will be automatically populated if it's blank.
- If a field has a filter applied in the Filter tab, and is then selected in the Compare by section, the filter in the Filter tab will be automatically removed.
- When a field is populated in the Compare by section you can't add a different field to the Breakdown by section.
- When using Smart chart, the Compare by channel will be removed.
- When you're finished, click Save report.