Navigate to the reporting add-on
Navigate to your HubSpot dashboards by clicking the sprocket icon in the top left corner of your account.
Get to know your reporting add-on dashboard
You'll be brought to your reporting dashboard where you'll see some default reports created. There are many ways you can navigate around this dashboard and customize your reports.
First, you can click the name of your current dashboard to select another dashboard you've previously created.
You can also filter by date ranges. Below the dashboard name, click Filter dashboard to filter for a specific time frame.
You'll see filters applied directly next to this menu and you can click the X on those filters to remove them.
You can click New dashboard at the top-right side of any current dashboard to create a new dashboard. This can allow for specific users to have their own dashboards or even divide the dashboards between sales and marketing focuses.
Click Add report at the top-right side of the dashboard to add a new report to the current dashboard you are on.
Click Export to email yourself or your colleagues a visual representation of your selected dashboard and date range.
You can set a default dashboard so every time you sign into your account, you see the reports that are most relevant to your role. For example, your sales team can set the sales dashboard as their default dashboard.
Navigate to the dashboard you would like to set as the default. Click Actions in the top-right corner. Select Set default dashboard. Click Set default to confirm your choice.
For each report on your dashboard, you can perform report actions by clicking the Actions dropdown menu to rename, edit, clone, or remove the report from your dashboard.
You can also move your reports around within your dashboards. Hover over the report and then click and drag it as desired.
To resize your report within the dashboard, hover over the bottom-right of the report window until you see an arrow show up, and then you can click and drag to resize the report.
Create new dashboard
To create a new dashboard in the reporting add-on, click New dashboard at the top-right of your screen.
In the pop-up box that appears, give your new dashboard a name in the Dashboard name field and set the visibility permissions in the Visibility field for your dashboard (Shared: Read Only, Shared, or Private). Click Create dashboard.
Manage your dashboards
Within the dashboard manager, you can quickly rename, change the ownership, delete, or edit the dashboard's visibility.
Click the name of your current dashboard, then click Manage dashboards.
You will see the following tabs in the dashboard manager: HubSpot dashboard, My dashboards, Team dashboards, and Private dashboards (admins only).
To edit the dashboard visibility, hover over the dashboard name and click Visibility.
To rename, change ownership, set the default, or delete the dashboard, hover over the dashboard name and click More, then select the desired action from the dropdown.
Add a new report
Now that you're familiar with your reporting add-on dashboard, let's go into adding a new report. Make sure you're in the dashboard that you want to add a new report to and choose Add report at the top-right.
Choose your report
From here, you'll be presented with a list of templated reports to make it easier to get started. You can choose any one of these reports by clicking Add. This will automatically add the report to your dashboard.
On the left-hand side, you have access to templated reports. These are reports that have already been built out for you for the different needs your business may have. Click on the Marketing, Sales, Sales Pro, or Customizable dropdown menus to access the different types of reports or click All Reports under Recommended to view all of the available templated reports.
Build from scratch
Alternatively, you can create a report to build and customize to your liking by clicking on Create custom report. Let's proceed to building a customized report.
Build your report
You'll be brought to a basic report that you can now customize. First, take a look at the left-side menu where you'll see an Object dropdown menu. This is what determines the type of report you want to run. Your options include Contacts, Companies, Deals, Engagements, Contacts funnel, and Deals funnel.
Once you select an object for your report, other dropdown menus will appear, depending on the object chosen.
- Date property: this is related to the timeframe set on the dashboard. The report will only show data for the object you've chosen in Object whose value for the date property chosen is within the timeframe set on the dashboard.
- Date range: this filter allows you to restrict the data to a particular time range. Choose from one of the default date ranges or select Custom date range to set specific dates for your report.
- Actions > Add saved filters: Choose from any of the saved filters you've added in your marketing or sales account.
- List membership: click Add filter to see this option. This is the breakdown that you get from the lists tool in your marketing account. For example, if you want to segment the contacts in your database based on their lifecycle stage or number of pageviews, you can build a list based on that information. Note that this option won't be available unless you choose Contacts or Contacts Funnel in the Object filter.
- Owner: click Add filter to see this option. This allows you to filter based on individual users who own the records you've chosen in the Object filter. Note that this option will only be available if you select Contacts, Companies, Deals, Engagements, Contacts Funnel, or Deals Funnel in the Object filter.
- HubSpot Team: click Add filter to see this option. This allows you to filter based on teams of users who own the records you've chosen in the Object filter. Note that this option will only be available if you select Contacts, Companies, Deals, Engagements, Contacts Funnel, or Deals Funnel in the Object filter.
Now you'll want to focus on the Measures section of your report builder. This section allows you to choose what information to build your report around. These dropdown menus will change based on the type of report you're building. Since the example below is a contacts report, contact information is available here.
Choose which metrics and breakdowns will be included in your report. The top dropdown menu will give you the main breakdown of your data. Think of it as the x-axis of a typical column bar chart. The bottom dropdown menu will determine how these metrics are plotted on the y-axis. Click Split metric to further break down your data by another property.
You can also click the plus icon to add an additional data set.
Set up visualization
As you customize your report with the pieces of information important to you, you'll see the data appear in the Visualization section below.
You can choose from eight different types of charts by clicking the Style dropdown. If the type of chart is not applicable to the information you've set, the chart type will be grayed out. You can also change the colors used in the chart.
Depending on the data you've selected and the type of chart, you'll also be able to make additional customization choices by clicking on the Display options dropdown menu. For split metric bar or column charts, you'll be able to choose if you want to show the data stacked or side-by-side. For line or area charts based on a date property, you can choose a comparison option and whether or not you'd like to show the data cumulatively, include today, or hide the data markers.
Add to dashboard
When you're done with the final edits of your report and its visualization, click Add to dashboard. Give your report a name and click Save. You've now created and added the report to your dashboard.