Why would I want to filter out my own traffic?
You should exclude your own web traffic so that you don't skew your HubSpot analytics data by the simple act of visiting your own site. Also, it is important to do this in the beginning because adding an IP address to filter out later will not retroactively remove historical internal traffic.
HubSpot makes it easy to exclude your own traffic by supplying your IP address.
Your IP address may be a:
- Static IP address - This is one IP address that always stays the same.
- Dynamic IP address - A range of IP addresses that change every time you access the internet.
What type of data will this filter?
When you exclude your own web traffic from being captured by HubSpot analytics, you can expect the following data to be filtered:
- CTA views/clicks
- Page views/visits
- Form submissions
- Clicked event graphs
- Social clicks
Follow the steps below to filter out your own traffic from your HubSpot analytics.
Go to your Reports Settings
From your HubSpot Dashboard, navigate to Reports > Reports Settings.
Enter your IP addresses or IP ranges into the "Exclude traffic from these IP addresses" section
Scroll down to the Exclude traffic from these IP addresses section of the settings. First, you'll see that your IP address will be automatically populated. However, if you need help finding the IP address(es) of your co-worker(s), take a look at the step below.
Enter additional IP addresses or IP ranges in the text box using commas to separate different IP addresses and dashes to represent entire ranges of IP addresses. For example, use 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199 for separate IP addresses or 188.8.131.52 - 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11 - 18.104.22.168 for different ranges. All IP addresses entered here should be IPv4.
If you make changes to your network or have employees who visit the site from other networks, you'll want to add additional IPs over time. Make sure to hit Save after adding your IP addresses or ranges.
Once an IP address has been added to your list of traffic filters, no visit/pageview, submission, or events data originating from that IP address will be recorded in your HubSpot account. Please note that adding IP address to your traffic filters does not retroactively alter your data or remove historical internal traffic.
Need help finding an IP address?
You can discover IP address(es) in a number of different ways:
- Go to http://whatismyip.com or http://ip4.me/. Your IP address will display at the top of the screen. Please note that if you are working remotely, this could change frequently.
- If you have an IT department, ask them. They'll know what it is.
- Call your internet provider and ask them what your IP range is.
- Find out if your internet provider can provide you with a static IP for your corporate office or home network and use that instead.