The HubSpot Sales Chrome extension vs. a connected inbox
Connecting your inbox allows you to get the most out of your sales tools and access additional features. While it can work with the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension to give you additional functionality, connecting your inbox is not required to use the extension:
- HubSpot Sales Chrome extension: the extension is installed in Google Chrome and appears in the upper right-hand corner of your browser window. Click the extension icon to view your email activity. With the extension installed, you can send tracked and logged emails and view contact profiles in your inbox. You can also insert templates and documents into your emails using the extension without a connected inbox.
- Connected inbox: connects your email host (Google Apps/GSuite) to your HubSpot account and authorizes HubSpot to access your inbox. With a connected inbox, you can send emails from HubSpot to contacts using your own servers, log incoming email replies, send email replies from contact timelines in HubSpot, schedule emails, use additional sales tools (in addition to templates and documents), and more.
Features of the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension
- Track emails: when you track an email sent from Gmail, you'll receive real-time pop-up notifications each time your recipient opens the email. To see this information:
- Click the HubSpot Sales extension icon in your browser to see a feed of your email activity.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Activity Feed.
- Log emails: when you log an email sent from Gmail, a copy of that email is recorded on the recipient's contact timeline in HubSpot. With a connected inbox, you can also log replies and reply to emails from the contact timeline in HubSpot.
- Use contact profiles: a sidebar menu will appear in your Gmail inbox with information about contacts in your HubSpot account. Search your HubSpot contact database, edit contact properties, and initiate calls with your contacts right from your inbox.
- Use the HubSpot sales tools in Gmail: send templates and documents, insert snippets in emails, enroll contacts in sequences, and insert meetings links in emails from Gmail. Please note that some of these tools require a connected inbox in addition to the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension in order to access them in Gmail.
- Send later: with the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension and a connected inbox, you can schedule your email to send at a specific time.
Email provider and browser requirements
Before installing the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension, review the matrix below to make sure the Chrome extension is right for you. If not, click one of the other Sales extension options (Office 365 add-in or Outlook desktop add-in) for installation instructions.
|Chrome extension||Office 365 add-in||Outlook desktop extension|
|Email host||Gmail or G Suite||Office 365||Any|
|Preferred email client||Gmail/G Suite in Chrome||
Outlook 2016 or 2013
Outlook on the web
Outlook for Mac
|Operating system||Mac, PC||Mac, PC||PC only|
|Requires connected inbox||No*||Yes||No*|
*Some sales tools cannot be used unless you have a connected inbox.
You must be using Google Chrome to install the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension. All versions of Gmail are supported. Please note that the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension will be disabled if Gmail is loaded in Basic HTML Mode.
Install from the Chrome Web Store
The HubSpot Sales Chrome extension can be installed directly from the Chrome Web Store here.
In the dialog box that appears, click + Add to Chrome. If this is the first time you're downloading the extension, you'll be prompted to log in.
Install during the inbox connection flow
When connecting your inbox, you'll be prompted to install the Chrome extension if you haven't done so already. Click Install Chrome Extension, then click Add extension in the dialog box that appears.
Install from your HubSpot account
You can install the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension from your HubSpot account following the steps below:
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, click Integrations > Email Integrations.
- Click the HubSpot Extensions tab.
- Click Download beside HubSpot Sales Extension for Gmail (Chrome). In the Chrome dialog box that appears, click Add Extension.
Viewing the extension in your inbox
The below example shows what you'll see once the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension is installed:
- HubSpot sprocket: this is where you manage your extension configuration settings.
- Contact profile sidebar menu: use this menu to search your HubSpot contact database, initiate calls, and edit contact profiles.
- Sales tools: use the HubSpot sales tools in your Gmail emails. Please note that some of these tools require a connected inbox and others have usage limits based on your HubSpot subscription.
- Log and track checkboxes: use these checkboxes if you would like to log and/or track your emails.
- Send later (connected inbox required): use this option to schedule your emails for a later time.